VOGONS

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've searched the forums for related topics and couldn't find one. Syndicate seems to crash DOSBox (official 0.61 release) after the game has been running for several (5-10) minutes, often while running around after completing a mission. The crash renders the main screen blank (happens in both fullscreen and window mode) and a second or two later the program closes with no error messages.

Has anyone else experienced this? People might not have caught it before if they boot up the game and play only for a minute or two to see if it works, but it does inevitably show up after sustained play.

Reply 1 of 10, by BlackConvoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya,

I get the same problem. Copied off the Plus CD, just playing the original Syndicate. Happens on 2nd stage for me mostly, when Im trying to "Persuade" every person in the map. Im running DOSBox 0.61 for Windows, running XP SP1 on an Athlon 2500+ nForce2.

Getting the same error, as such.. DOSBox closes with no message, half the time I forget its running, off doing other "work" stuff, while the agents are persuading.

I'll probably end up building another system to install DOS on to play Syndicate Wars as-is, but running the game in a window is where im looking for. May have to put a graphics card in the DOS box with TV-Out... then find an app that'll let me have the TV-in stream run in a window...

... all so I can still work at the same time. Lazy, arent I 😉

"Who else seeks death?" -- Lu Bu

Reply 6 of 10, by BlackConvoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're after a quick fix to play the game for now, the current version of VDMSound plays the game flawlessly, however the intro would not play and it wont run in a window.

vdmsound.sourceforge.net I believe... Im still holding out for DOSBox so that I can window the game... just playing Syndicate to get my fix until I can find a way to get Syndicate Wars to run. I've got it running in VMWare with MSDos 7.1, but its too fast 🙁

Reply 7 of 10, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works fine with me. I use the normal core but I limit the memory size to 16 Mb (I use the D-Fend frontend). I've found out that if the system has more than 16 Mb RAM the game refuses to load. Really weird, but it's not a DOSBox related problem, I think I had the same problem with my old PC.

About the in-game hangings, believe it or not it used to happen to me as well when I tried to run the original Syndicate Plus CD on a Pentium II system.

Try this: If you have the Plus CD, install only the SB version and use the above mentioned settings (normal core, 16 Mb RAM), don't use the SB16 specific version. Then tell me if this still happens, because it seems to be working fine on my AMD Athlon 1800+ with these settings.

Reply 8 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the in-game hangings, believe it or not it used to happen to me as well when I tried to run the original Syndicate Plus CD on a Pentium II system.

Try this: If you have the Plus CD, install only the SB version and use the above mentioned settings (normal core, 16 Mb RAM), don't use the SB16 specific version. Then tell me if this still happens, because it seems to be working fine on my AMD Athlon 1800+ with these settings.

Interesting. I don't think my version is the Syndicate Plus CD version (it's actually copied from an ancient hard drive from 1995, the original install floppies for which are long since gone), and I don't see any mention of SB16 anywhere. I just see "Soundblaster" in the config / install menu.

Reply 9 of 10, by BlackConvoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried out Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, and got both Syndicate and Syndicate Wars running flawlessly with very little effort. It may not be much help, but I highly recommend this after trying DOSBox, VDMSound, and VMWare, and none gave great results. .. and at the cost of a little more than two games, Ive been able to play all of the old DOS4GW games I still have lying around...

Reply 10 of 10, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I somehow assumed that we all were talking about the same version of "Syndicate", the CD version that also includes the "American Revolt" expansion. That version came in two different runs, one for SB users and another specific to SB16 users, which was found in the SB16 folder of the CD.

When I copied the files to my HD to use it with DOSBox, I assumed the veriosn that would work better was the regular SB one, so that's why I mentioned it.

And thanks for the Virtual PC tip, I'll try it to run "Syndicate Wars" and other games that seem to demanding for DOSBox (with my setup, at least), like "Strike Commander".