VOGONS

First post, by seattleseaarrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On a Mac Air. Copied CD to internal drive. Launched DOSBOX. Mounted C. Mounted copied CD to drive D. Installed WSIM. Went into the directory and typed "WSIM". And all I get is this: ERROR: Can't find source CD in drive C

I was soooo looking forward to do some ship battles. Anyone have any idea of what the error is about? I was wondering if the game requires the physical CD in the CD drive but I do not see that requirement in the instructions. Help Please.

Reply 2 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And what are your mount commands? (In other words you need the cd folder as cd drive - not just d)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by seattleseaarrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Thanks for addressing.

Wooden ships and iron men requires the CD in the drive, I believe. I mounted the c drive to ~/applications/Ships. Within ships I have copied the CD. I run install from within /Ships and it creates the /WSIM folder off of the C Root drive. I now have ~/applications/wsim. During the install I disabled sound. Install program ends. At the prompt i type "WSIM" and get the error.

I"ve loaded the CDROM contents into a folder. I created an .iso file of the CDROM image. My cdmount command is mount d ~/applications/ships -t -cdrom. I think if I can get DOSBOX to recognize the CDROM .iso image or to recognize the plug in mac dvd player I could fool WSIM into thinking its in the CD Drive and run. And I think that can be done from what I"ve read about the place. But I lack the expertise of syntax and what exactly to write.

Does that make any sense? I know DOS but an fairly new to Mac. And I've not done any basic cofiguraiton in Mac and barley any terminal work. DOSBOX,using DOS commands, is easy, smooth for me. But. . ..not to the level of playing the game. It's odd that the error is saying something about C. And the wsim execution in the wooden ships folder is a .bat file. I can't read the contents/don' know what mac tool to use to read the .bat text. The .bat file called "game.exe". (I think the .bat configures the sound card. I disable the sound card in the installation program).

Reply 4 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your mountings sound strange. You need to keep the same mounting for c for installing and playing.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by seattleseaarrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also installed in the dosbox c: drive. The root. Ran WSIM Same error message. And WSIM will not run on the old Win2007 laptop either. I guess I'll just look for a cheap laptop and install dos and a CD drive. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, definitely not cheaper 😉
I think it's mostly odd install, running and mounting problems...

Reply 7 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a Mac, DOS applications are not applications. They are just Document files.

Probably try the C:/ drive outside of the Mac Applications folder.

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He was using ~/applications which is not the same as /applications