VOGONS

First post, by [MBP]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I wanne play Command & Conquer 1 from 1995. So I downloaded the DosBox and want to install the game. When I wanne run the Setup.exe every time he says me, he could not find the setup.mix...

what can i do???

Thank you
Andi

Reply 1 of 19, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is there such a file in your installation?
Have you a correct working version of the game (I mean either official CD or the rip about which you are certain it works)?

Mirek

Reply 3 of 19, by [MBP]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@mirekluza
The setup.mix file is in the installtion folder. And I have the orginal cd of command & conquer.

@Srecko
I do not understand how this should work. What have I to type in? Regulary when I mount my CDROM-drive i enter mount e e:/. When I enter -t cdrom the programm says to me that this is a illegal command...

Reply 7 of 19, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A) Try Dynamic Core
B) Wait for New DOSBox Release or Download Unofficial DOSBox CVS (which I've tested this in and it runs very very well)

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 10 of 19, by NJ7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get it to install anything......I select the sound card, test it, works fine.....then after I select ok, some setup unsucessful message pops up, setup file not found.....what the heck is this....

Attachments

• Filename
    setup.JPG
    File size
    104.06 KiB
    Downloads
    142 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 19, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you make sure to mount your cd with the "-t cdrom" and mount a hard drive?
Otherwise (for Sierra games at least) if I fail to do so, the game tries to install onto the cd and fails miserably. Actually the problem is that the game thinks it's already been installed and is simply setting configs for the hard drive (which is actually the cd). Or make sure you have read/write permission to wherever you install the game onto.
By the way I think you may be running at too high cycles. Typically I run at about 10000 cycles maximum and on occasion only 5000 for some games due to sound issues (But that's just me).

Reply 12 of 19, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😮 holy crap 200,000 cycles? What kind of computer do you got?

That's way too much for any normal computer.
Check to make sure you have mounted something like
mount C: C:\
mount D: D:\ -t cdrom
To install it from the cd of course.
Modify the above lines to what you do for your system though.

@dougdahl

It's quite handy that many of the Sierra programs acted that way. If you install it first from your CD to your Hard Drive them copy some of the files over. Then modify the lines in the resource.cfg to point to the directory on the hard drive instead of the CD you can play directly from your hard drive with no problems.
😀
I've done it with every Sierra game that I have. I think there may be a couple that don't work that way but the Adventure games do.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 15 of 19, by NJ7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, runs faster too.....go figure....probably don't help my soundcard ain't supported really.....I selected Sound Blaster because it was the only one that seemed to work.....the card I got is Sound Max Digital Audio, which ain't selectable.....something tells me this game will only run without sound on my system which sucks royally....oh well, if anyone got a fix, let me know (for the sound)......anyone know if the net play works still on that game....would like to play online if possible with someone sometime.....

Reply 16 of 19, by NJ7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might wanna check this out....guy claims he can get this game running in XP without DosBox or anything....I tried it but it didn't work.....the Soundblaster Fix did not work either......so I just thought maybe I'll just run the demo setup like it said, and of course it did fail like it says....I then copied the install files from the full version CD like it says......tried to run it not in dosbox like it says and set everthing up with the soundblaster emulator, didn't even load.....I thought, oh well, but it gave me an idea, I used the demo like it says, copied the files from the cd and then ran it in DosBox and for some strange reason the game runs now with sound and doesn't freeze when I move a unit......I think it's kinda strange, but at least I got it working with sound now I guess....just posting this in case no one can get it to work with sound....you might wanna try running the demo setup instead of the full version setup....it works, for some strange reason, just give it a try if you are having sound problems....

http://www.planetcnc.com/cnc2sw/dos_xp.html#install

Reply 17 of 19, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game should work in XP shell. Just copy some mix files from cd to game directory (e.g general.mix, and all others except scores.mix and movies.mix- you can copy those too if you want music and movies). Then run it like this: C&C -CDC: (replace C: with the drive where your game is ). THis should disable cd checks. To get sound working it's a little more complicated (you need to have config file correctly set up for vdmsound or XP's SB emulation (SB/PRO/16 or Clone, irq 7 or 5,DMA 1,port 220).

Reply 18 of 19, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ priestlyboy
Yes, it is very useful. I've done the same thing myself a few times (and there are a few games that I wish did that as well).
But if you're not aware of what's going on, it's a real headscratcher as to why
the stupid game just refuses to install from the cd. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just that it could have been a problem.