VOGONS

First post, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Been trying to get Usurper running in local mode in DOSBox with no luck. I'm running ver. 0.24, I've run the editor, had it "reset" to create the data files, set my configuration options, and...well that's it. Game won't run.

Now I admit I don't exactly recall the correct way to launch the game in local mode but I've tried USURPER and USURPER /L and in both cases, DOSBox just hangs at the prompt.

Am I even running it correctly or am I missing some key to the setup? Or does it not work in vanilla DOSBox (much like the newest version of LORD)? The ReadMe is pretty much no help at all and other that the WhatsNew, there doesn't seem to be any other documentation...

Anyway, any advice thrown my way would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I got Usurper 0.16 running in local mode with:

- Extract USURP016.ZIP into a folder
- Extract SAMPLE.CTL from SAMPLES.ZIP and rename as USURP.CTL
- Run EDITOR.EXE and select "Reset Game", then Quit
- Run USURPER.EXE with a /L command line switch

Other versions may need a similar process, or something different...

Reply 2 of 5, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So .16 is the latest version that will run in DOSBox? Those are the steps I've tried with ver .24, .23e, and .20e -- all to the same effect of DOSBox hanging at the prompt. I'll see if I can find a copy of .16 (the "official" website only goes back as far as .20e).

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, it appears that 0.20e was released in 2009, and I tend to be skeptical of true DOS compatibility in such cases. DOSBox emulates DOS, not the Windows NTVDM and Command Shell.

BTW, you can find 0.16 here: http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/BBS/

Reply 5 of 5, by tiny indian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you got it up and running 😀 Nice! Are you interested in playing a live game? I've been on a BBS for a few weeks but there's no one else - just the pc characters. Anyone can join me and I'll help get you started with Usurper gold and items . the bbs is Convolution: http://24.229.195.66:81/flashterm1.html
Hope I see some live ones 😎 Tiny Indian