VOGONS

First post, by Beepzorz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This happens when I interact with something, like examining something in the environment, using an item on something or most annoyingly of all, when I try to save the game by clicking the 'S' button.

I think it started at around day 4, but at first it only happened sporadically and I was able to avoid the problem by reloading and redoing a particular section until I made it through without getting a crash. But I'm on day 9 now and it's gotten to the point where it's pretty much guaranteed any interaction crashes the game, and I can't just save-scum my way through because saving also crashes the game.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the game while keeping the save files, but it doesn't help whatsoever. I've haven't touched DosBox's settings, except using the "Graphic Mode Setup" that's in the game directory to keep the aspect ratio intact, changed the scaling engine to 3x and set the window. resolution to that of my monitor.

Here is an screenshot of the error message I get:

l6GcQ0A.png

If anyone knows how to solve this, I'd be immensely grateful. Or alternatively, if someone could give me a save file from the start of day 9, or even a bit earlier, that would also solve my problem.

This is on a laptop with Windows 8.1, with a quad-core Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz and 8 GB DD3 RAM.

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What is the memsize in the configuration file of DOSBox set to ? (there are several files in the folder that end with .conf. Open them and check for memsize)
I think the game might crash if it is 8. Should be 16.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Beepzorz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

What is the memsize in the configuration file of DOSBox set to ? (there are several files in the folder that end with .conf. Open them and check for memsize)
I think the game might crash if it is 8. Should be 16.

Do you mean dosboxGK.conf? I opened it with notepad and found 'capturememsize=8', which I changed to 16. Unfortunately, it made no difference and it still crashes.

Reply 4 of 4, by Beepzorz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I solved the issue by deleting all the old saves and starting a new playthrough, using a step-by-step walkthrough. I'm not sure, but I think the issue might have been cause because on my first playthrough I skipped a few optional interactions which you get awarded points for.