VOGONS

First post, by Rendeva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, first post here so sorry if I'm missing out on any etiquette, I took a look about but couldn't see anyone with the same problem.

I'm using DOSBox 0.74 on Windows 10 to play a few games from before my time and most run perfectly, but I'm having some issues with specific types of in game videos/animations, where the game brings up a black screen for a second and then skips the video. The two games where this is an issue so far are Warcraft and Command and Conquer - Red Alert. (Yes I'm taking a look at where RTS's started out 😀, and if you wish to recommend anymore please do.)

The game Dune 2 works perfectly and the intro plays, but that is using sprite graphics like the rest of the game uses, however Warcraft's fancier opening video and all of the FMV videos in Red Alert don't come up at all. For Warcraft, it's not a huge issue, but for Red Alert, the FMV's are fairly frequent, and really enjoyable, so I feel I am missing out. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help with this?

Reply 2 of 7, by Rendeva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am, as I have been unable to locate physical copies so far.

From what I can tell by the file directories, the video data is there, and asking around on another forum many people reported similiar issues but nobody had a fix 🙁

I have had this issue getting fmv's for early windows titles to run too, on items I have the discs for.

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is part of why "abandonware" is not supported here. They are often ripped (missing data), cracked, hacked, etc. in ways that have unpredictable results and people here with legitimate copies can't replicate these problems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rendeva wrote:

From what I can tell by the file directories, the video data is there, and asking around on another forum many people reported similiar issues but nobody had a fix 🙁

What you report is consistent with a common ripping technique from the time - the video data files are replaced with "dummy files" - blank, short sequences. This brings the size down, but keeps the game from complaining about missing files.

Since the actual video data was removed, there is no fix, other than obtaining a full copy.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by Rendeva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty then,

I shall look into acquiring full copies, guess I'm going bargain hunting. (I already found discs for Warcraft 1 and 2 cheap, once I get a floppy disk usb drive I'll expand my search. Thank you very much for your help 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think if you want full videos and soundtrack you need the CD (not floppy) versions of Warcraft (I and II). For Red Alert - not sure.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys