VOGONS

First post, by KingGing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, I am not having a problem with the game itself. The game runs fine. What i'm having a problem with is the intro, which i've been trying to find a video of online for about the past 2 years. I evenutally gave up, and decided it would be easier to get an emulator that would run the whole game, and watch the intro like that. but i'm having problems.

Problem Description:
Load up DOSBox, run either cannon.exe (which loads the intro file canintro.com, and then the executable cf_eng.exe) or canintro.com (which is just the intro file). First off, the Virgin interactive logo appears. Everything seems fine, the mucial score seems a tad out of sync (running faster than the images. Images seem a bit slow, audio is at the right speed), but that's not a problem. It's not like there's a voiceover that needs to line up or anything. Then the Sensible Software logo appears, and fades out. It seems like there's a much longer wait than there should be before the 'Cannon Fodder' logo, with a picture of the main characters, appears, and by this point the audio is at the point where the first guy should just have died in the intro animation. Fade out. Then an even longer than expected wait, before the first part of the video fades in. The helicopter flies towards the screen, and apart from the audio being out of sync all seems good. Then the animation appears to slow right down as the helicopter nears the screen. Task Manager doesn't show dosbox.exe as using any more system resources than before (fairly static at about 25-35% CPU use. Memory use is not increasing.), but the helicopter jerks towards the screen at about 1FPS, occasionally freezing totally for a few seconds, or skipping frames, until the scene fades out. The next scene also takes far longer than it should to fade in, and is jerky at about 1FPS right from the start. And all the frames that should be in between each one that is shown are just missed out. Repeast for every other scene until the intro finishes.

This happens whether I have DOSBox set to fullscreen or windowed mode.

As the game runs fine, it might be easier, if anyone has got this intro running OK, if someone could take a video capture of it and put it up on the net for me to download. It would be most appreciated. I not, could people please help me get it working 😀

Right, system information:
Athlon XP 2400+ (Runs at 1997MHz)
1GB DDR 2700 RAM
Soundblaster Audigy 2
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L motherboard

Windows XP Pro with SP1 and all patches installed
DOSBox 0.61 from the Windows installer
D-Fend 1.0.61 (Build 70)

Which brings me to another weirdness. I've set up D-Fend in the File->Configure Defaults option, and all seems to be good. As far as I can tell, this default D-Fend config and my dosbox.conf file have the same settings in them. However, if I run Cannon Fodder using the D-Fend config, the audio is OK, whereas if I run it using the dosbox.conf file there is a loud deep buzzing over the sound, with the required sound 'in the background', as it were. I managed to change this deep buzzing to a high pitched whine at one point, but haven't managed to get it to go away totally. Attached are my DOSBox and D-Fend configuration files. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Dan

Attachments

• Filename
    dfend.ini
    File size
    1.12 KiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File comment
    The D-Fend ini file with it's configuration options
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dosbox.ini
    File size
    4.43 KiB
    Downloads
    162 downloads
    File comment
    The DOSBox configuration file, renamed because i couldn't upload a .conf for some reason
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

We are Pentium of borg, you will be approximated.

Reply 1 of 1, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Hmmm well the only real difference is that you use the Full core in the DOSBox.ini and the Normal Core in the D-Fend settings.

That could be the problem. I'm note sure though.

You shouldn't use the Full CPU core. Use normal or dynamic.
Also read the D-Fend manual, it explains most of the settings and what they do.

Good luck

Author of D-Fend, a DOSBox frontend.

D-Fend homepage.
http://members.home.nl/mabus