VOGONS

First post, by bry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, forgive my dosbox n00bishness. 😀

I see that at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=U Ultima 5 is listed as supported. However I can't get it to run. It seems to be using some form of copy protection.

When I try to run it in dosbox 0.61 for either linux or winxp ultima.exe complains, "PLEASE USE ORIGINAL DISK ONLY." (the game shouts, not me). I'm using files from the 3.5" low density disk that came from the Ultima Second Trilogy set. Doesn't make a difference whether I use the -t floppy option to mount.

What's interesting is that I get the same error when trying to run it natively from a winxp system with the real disk in the drive, but it works fine on an older win98 system.

Anyone know a way around this? I'd really like to run Ultima 5 on my floppiless linux laptop, but so far I'm stumped.

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game seems to have some sort of low-level disk protection, very common on the ms-dos days. Unfortunately, use of these protections involved heavy low level access to hardware (and even undocumented routines calls) which may be unsupported under DOSBox. I know that cracking is illegal, but if you own the original, the only way to be able to play is getting a crack.

Reply 2 of 3, by bry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's not what I was hoping for, but thanks anyway.

I did find a crack once, but it complained that my ultima.exe file was the wrong size. Perhaps the crack was for a different version of Ultima 5...

Why is Ultima 5 listed as supported? Are there other versions without copy protection? Or is it just supported for people who can find cracks better than I can? 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The truth is, that most of people use abandonware (pirated) versions. No problems with copy protection there... Originals of old DOS games are rare at this time.

Mirek