VOGONS

First post, by darkduende

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please Help. I run "The Punisher" on windows 98 with dosbox 0.61 the problem is that when I run it the game starts fine but about a sec or two that I'm playing it freezes and I have to shut it down. At the beginning of the game there's this little setup where you choose sound options theres -no sound, -pc speaker and -Adlib I have ran it with no sound and works perfectly well but neither pc speaker nor adlib really work; I just reinstalled windows so there aren't really much programs in the background that could slow down the pc and this game is a real oldie so I'm sure it is not the processor etc..
what could I do?

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you want adlib you must run adlib driver (sound.com) before running the game:

sound ba000

("b" stands for buffer size)

you must also run dosbox with cycles not higher than 4500 so that the game could detect adlib hardware

Reply 2 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, this game needs adlib's sound.com driver to be loaded prior to starting it. Just like Rick Dangerous 2 and Monty Python's Flying Circus (both from Core Design). Well, your best bet is to create a batch file which contains one line invoking sound.com (with the ba000 parameter) and another one calling the main executable for Punisher. Something like this:

RUNME.BAT
sound.com ba000
punisher.exe