VOGONS

First post, by EldritchNexus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm playing the DOS version of Hexen II's Hammer of Thyrion source port in DOSBox on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. The game works great for me, except for one problem: The opening cinematic doesn't play. I do, however, have an AVI file for the cinematic. I also found a DOS application called QuickView Pro that allows me to run it in DOSBox right before it loads the game (using a batch file, obviously). The problem, though, is that I'm using the trial version of QV Pro, which means that not only is there a five-second pause after the cinematic, with a message telling me "This pause is removed in the registered version", but it tells me that I will have to register the application (which will cost me a minimum of $15 for the lite version alone) after three weeks.

Are there any reliable alternatives to QuickView that are free or at least cheap that I can run in DOSBox so that I can play the AVI file and then go straight to the game with no interruptions?

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's dos builds of mplayer. A little overkill though

and FYI Hexen 2's avi only plays in the context of inserting the CD/auto run. The game never plays nor installs the AVI. ever

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by EldritchNexus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

There's dos builds of mplayer. A little overkill though

and FYI Hexen 2's avi only plays in the context of inserting the CD/auto run. The game never plays nor installs the AVI. ever

So that leaves me three options:

1) imgmount the CD/ISO file for Hexen II.

2) Find a DOS version of mplayer and get it to work in DOSBox. (Could someone share a link?)

3) Pay $15 minimum for the registered version of QuickView Pro.

Reply 3 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4. Use a shell script to first play the .AVI file in a convenient MacOSX media player app and then immediately execute Hexen II Hammer of Thyrion via DOSBox. In other words, move the batch processing out of DOSBox and into a MacOSX shell script. Transcode the .AVI into something more convenient if necessary.