VOGONS

First post, by PrimusPilus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Folks!
First time poster. Just stumbled onto this amazing program a week ago. Amazing job by the developers, my hat goes off to you for your work. I've been wishing for awhile that I could play some games that actually cared about gameplay for awhile now! My heartfelt thanks.

Anywho, on to the issue.
Please be advised that I am not a technical wizard by any stretch so, please, it would be appreciated that any advice given would be in easy to understand, step by step instructions. I have DOSBox v0.61. I have the CD Dos version of Panzer General and I am having an issue installing the game, let alone trying to play it. The steps I have taken are as follows: I have typed mount d d:\ -t cdrom, I have then typed d: to activate the drive, no issues so far. There is a program on the Panzer General disk called install.exe. I type install, hit return, DOSBox does it's thing for a quick sec and then I receive the following error message:

Determining system components (this line is flashing)

Memory Required Current Satisfied
1.Conventional 404k 638k Yes
2.Extended(XMS) 2760k 15296k Yes
3.Expanded(EMS) 0k 15296k Yes
4.Hard Disk 3M

Error Reading Free Drive Bytes

OK

When I click OK, the install fails.

I remembered reading in the read me about older games not liking newer system's memory so I also tried that command(forgive me I cannot remember I am at work) that increase the memory usage. Still no joy, same eroor message.

Thanks for reading folks, any help that you can offer will be extremely welcome. Again, I am not a gear head so simple, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.

My system:
ASUS A7N8X2.0
AMD Athlon 2800xp
Radeon 9800pro
1 gig RAM
OnBoard Realtec Audio w/NVidia nforce chipset
80 gig HD
Windows xp

I really appreciate any assistance that is offered,
Sincerely,
PrimusPilus