VOGONS

First post, by Dist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, ive tried tons of programs to get this old gam running on my xp system, so far im without luck. so since most the ppl on the xcom forums suggesting dosbox im trying it but having problems.

So far ive done mount c e:\ufo and mount d g:\ -t cdrom (not sure if it needs cdrom or not but just incase).

once theyre both mounted i go to e: and run ufo.bat (the file to play the game) and the dosbox just clears the screen and disaplays:

illegal command : g:ufoexe\black
illegal command : g:sound\sndstart
illegal command : g:intro
illegal command : g:ufoexe\black
illegal command : g:ufoexe\geoscape
illegal command : g:sound\sndstart
c:\UFO>

any1 know the cause of this, and also how to fix it?

Reply 1 of 2, by Dist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok nevermind i seem to have fixed the problem, it didnt like my mounting to different drive letters, when i mounted e to e and g to g it worked fine

now all i got to do is figure out how to get the speed right 😒

Reply 2 of 2, by PPaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep are both re-released as win32 executables, using Direct X. (called collectors edition or something like that)

They are abandonware now, and are available on the internet at Home of the Underdogs.
(Mods, I don't know your standing on the abandonware legal issues, please remove if you find the above link to be "illegal")

You'll probably need a patch to correct some graphical problems, there is a patch available, just google on it.

This way you can run them under XP with no problems at all.

Snover sez: We know abandonware exists, you can name sites, just don't link to them