VOGONS

First post, by OrcLex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I tried to run Mortal Kombat 3 (PC-CDROM), but dosbox crashes with "Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)"!
I'm running dosbox 0.61 and the gamelist shows that the game is supported with dosbox 0.61.
I have started dosbox with
dosbox -c "mount d /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0" -c "mount c ."
under linux and I have installed it without problems. After calling mk3.exe it loads some seconds and than crashes with the error-message above.
Do I have to configure something or how does mortal kombat run?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander

Reply 2 of 12, by OrcLex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, I have bought it before win95 and played it a lot. It runs in the protected mode and can not be started with windows. Now I hope that I can play it again after so many years!
According to the list it should work with dosbox 0.61 - so what is the trick?

Reply 5 of 12, by Fritzy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same exact problem, except that I'm using the correct CD.

platform:
Debian Unstable kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7
Dosbox 0.61 (Current Debian Package)
AMD 1.4GHZ T-Bird
ATi 8500 128MB Dual Head Mode (retail Linux drivers)

etc, etc.

I'm using the original Mortal Kombat 3 CD for DOS.

Reply 6 of 12, by OrcLex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did you load the cdrom driver? this is important...
but now I using xdosemu to play mk3. it's much faster than dosbox because I don't need to emulate the x86-architecture with my celeron 700. just install the debian package dosemu and try it.

greetings,
Alex

Reply 7 of 12, by MikeGTS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there,

I've managed to play MK3 with DOSBox but it uses too much cpu... See the picture below..is there any way to play the game and not use so much cpu ? It wasn't even full screen .... 🙁

untitled_97.jpg

Thank you in advance for any helpfull answer.

mike.

Reply 9 of 12, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, MikeGTS! Welcome to the forum!

Have you noticed the DOSBox title bar in your screenshot?

Right where it says " CPU Cycles : MAX "... That means you DOSBox is configured to use the maximum number of cycles you CPU can spare (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as this is what I understood from the README).

And also, as kindly requested by wd, it would be better if you could let us know your system specifications, in order to troubleshoot the problem.

I can tell you that the CD version (audio tracks) of the game runs flawlessly in 0.70 😀 (haven't yet tested in 0.71), but I doubt that changed. Maybe if you try to set a specific number of cycles and play with the value to get the best balance possible for your system...

Reply 10 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or cycles=auto

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 12, by MikeGTS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for answering.

I'm gonna give it one more try, also maybe I can play the game in full-screen if anyone knows how to do that..

My system specs are as follows:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
CPU Type: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2133 MHz (8 x 267)
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 930B (Digital) [19" LCD] (HMCL314028)
Audio Adapter: Creative Audigy Player (SB0092) Sound Card
Disk Drive: ST3160811AS (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
2 GB of RAM DDR2

I must also note that the cpu is not overclocked, i can overclock it but i don't know how, so i best not touch it if you know what i mean 😀..