VOGONS

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This particular version of the game I got from GOG, if that matters (not sure if it's a handicapped version in some way?)

Anyways, when I try to start the game with MT-32 support, the "Interplay" screen shows and briefly makes a little musical score, but then it freezes at this screen and the game does not continue. The game will continue if I set music and sound effects to "Sound Blaster Pro".

I have several other games that I use MT-32 with (I'm using Falsosoft midi player) so I'm relatively familiar with the other settings needed to enable this. Any ideas?

Here's my DOSBox conf file

(Edit: Is there even a point to using MT-32 in this game, or should I use Sound Blaster Pro instead?)

Reply 1 of 2, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed the GOG version, ran Launch Settings, selected Roland LAPC-1/MT-32 for music and Sound Blaster Pro for digital sound and loaded it up. It initially seemed like it froze on the Interplay screen, but continued after about 10 seconds. It doesn't do that when using Sound Blaster for music, so it's probably just loading MIDI samples. Some games from that era took a little longer to load when using MIDI, for that reason. Of course, if it's getting stuck there, that's a problem.

For what it's worth, the MIDI settings in my .conf are:

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

Try removing the "1" from your "midiconfig=1" and, if that doesn't help, try "uart" instead of "intelligent".

Last edited by Osprey on 2018-08-30, 15:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Osprey wrote:

I just installed the GOG version, ran Launch Settings, selected Roland LAPC-1/MT-32 for music and Sound Blaster Pro for digital sound and loaded it up. It initially seemed like it froze on the Interplay screen, but continued after about 10 seconds.

Wow, good call. Thanks for the heads up!