VOGONS

First post, by HoeraBart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to get Big Race USA to run in DosBox. I can get into the settings, but when I try to start the game itself it loads and then crashes back to DoxBox with the error "Not enough memory to run". I tried several memsizes (up to 512) and tried to run it with loadfix (also up to 512), but nothing seems to work.

Reply 2 of 9, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lightmaster wrote:

Welcome:
16 megs of ram required.
Good Luck.

16 MBs doesn't seem to be enough, at least if you have configured the game to 800x600 high detail (I get the same not enough memory error).
memsize=32 works for me.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Real Dosbox (which version?) or a fork of Dosbox?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then don't go over 63MB (because DOSBox doesn't support more thus higher values are gibberish to DOSBOX and the default of 16MB gets used).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 9, by spekbukkem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@HoeraBart; What settings did you need to tweak to enable startup the game? I'm still unable to start the game, also with the suggested settings mentioned in this post. I also found out the memory usage seems to be related to audio, because if I change the sound settings of the game to not use audio, I at least get two splash screens, before the game stops with the same error message. But I did not find any option to lower the audio to medium.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.