VOGONS

Trying to get obscure game working

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by cegordon57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am new to dosbox and am trying to get a VERY obscure beat 'em up game to work with dosbox. It is called Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok (1997) and is exclusive to South Korea. On the first try I found a copy that had to be booted from a .bat file. Unfortunately, it didn't have the game music, but was otherwise fully functional. NOW, I have managed to find a .cue and .bin file and have gotten it to boot using the imgmount command:

Z:\MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

Z:\IMGMOUNT D C:\OLDGAMES\TGNIGHT\TG_NIGHT.CUE -t iso -fs iso

Z:\C:

(I then installed the game in SETUPDOS.EXE and installed to a folder EOJJ) then:

C:\CD OLDGAMES\EOJJ

C:\OLDGAMES\EOJJ\NIGHT

Obviously these are the paths I used on my computer. THE GAME DOES START WITH SOUND AND LOOKS GREAT ON THE TITLE SCREEN!! Unfortunately, it crashes every time I try to start playing. So, I have a version I can play with no music, and a version that has music, but when I start it crashes...ANY ideas? Is there something I need to add when mounting the img to get it to run faster or something? Looking forward to doing a YouTube Video on this VERY hard to find game!

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The OLDGAMES folder exists on the host C: drive, but with your mount it becomes the root of the emulated C: drive. If you installed to the EOJJ folder then use these commands to start the game:

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
IMGMOUNT D C:\OLDGAMES\TGNIGHT\TG_NIGHT.CUE -t iso
C:
CD \EOJJ
NIGHT

Reply 3 of 8, by cegordon57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2018-11-02, 05:51:
The OLDGAMES folder exists on the host C: drive, but with your mount it becomes the root of the emulated C: drive. If you instal […]
Show full quote

The OLDGAMES folder exists on the host C: drive, but with your mount it becomes the root of the emulated C: drive. If you installed to the EOJJ folder then use these commands to start the game:

C:
CD \EOJJ
NIGHT

Sorry to ressurect this old topic. i have recently returned to this game determined to get it to work! I did get a cracked version of the game working, but the only problem is I cannot get the music to work in game. I did find a thread that mentioned that you have to have the cd or the cd mounted using Daemon Tools to get the music working. I do mount the cd with the following but to no avail:

mount d f:\ -t cdrom

I am happy to share the iso file with you as well as the cracked game, it is abandonware. I really look forward to getting this thing running at 100%!

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The real question is... does it work properly on a real system?

If so, then there is probably some bug in DOSBOX that is keeping it from working.

I would be willing to try it out on real hardware.

I found a CD image I can use for testing.

Do you have any info on the system requirements and what it supports such as video and sound?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cegordon57 wrote on 2021-03-05, 03:49:
Sorry to ressurect this old topic. i have recently returned to this game determined to get it to work! I did get a cracked ver […]
Show full quote
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2018-11-02, 05:51:
The OLDGAMES folder exists on the host C: drive, but with your mount it becomes the root of the emulated C: drive. If you instal […]
Show full quote

C:
CD \EOJJ
NIGHT

Sorry to ressurect this old topic. i have recently returned to this game determined to get it to work! I did get a cracked version of the game working, but the only problem is I cannot get the music to work in game. I did find a thread that mentioned that you have to have the cd or the cd mounted using Daemon Tools to get the music working. I do mount the cd with the following but to no avail:

mount d f:\ -t cdrom

I am happy to share the iso file with you as well as the cracked game, it is abandonware. I really look forward to getting this thing running at 100%!

I am sure you have the best of intentions, but please read ucp.php?mode=terms which is clickable on every Vogons forum page under "Terms of use"

In particular see :

Works not meeting these criteria must not be submitted to VOGONS. In particular, “abandonware” is not allowed on VOGONS. Donate commercially unavailable copyrighted works of historical interest to the Internet Archive or to a local library or museum.

My understanding is that this prohibition also extends to discussing, offering to share such software on Vogons (whether actual sharing occurs on Vogons or not) or linking to it . Also according to my understanding, this is to shield Vogons from any legal liability .

A forum mod will almost certainly confirm this soon . EDIT2 : Or correct me if I am wrong or misinterpreting .

EDIT: Another issue with such software "acquired through suspect channels" is that you have no idea what exactly was done to it before it came to be in your hands . Any issues or bugs are just as likely to be due to an altered copy as to a DosBox bug or a system incompatibility/misconfiguration (when running on real vintage hardware).

Last edited by darry on 2021-03-05, 04:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which is why I went and found it myself so I can test.

One other question for cegordon57 - Did you try using the official patch for this game? Who knows what it fixed unless somebody has the original patch notes.

Here is the patch - looks like you just replace the original executable:

Filename
NIGHT.zip
File size
107.4 KiB
Downloads
49 downloads
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-03-06, 03:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cegordon57 wrote on 2021-03-05, 03:49:

I did find a thread that mentioned that you have to have the cd or the cd mounted using Daemon Tools to get the music working.

As per the above posts, there is no need for Daemon Tools as you can mount the CD image in DOSBox using imgmount. (Otherwise you would have to use the "-usecd" parameter documented in the DOSBox readme.)