VOGONS

First post, by BlueSox14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've come across a frustrating problem trying to activate Performance Boosters within Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.1 (CD-ROM version), running in DoxBox 0.74.

Essentially, a number of XXXXCACH folders exist within the FLTSIM5\CACHE directory corresponding to certain scenery areas.The XXXX are unique, so ASIACACH, AFRICACH etc.
Each of these folders should have a SCENERY and a TEXTURE subfolder, and they all do.

Within the game, I have to type provide the location of these XXXXCACH folders. However, every time I try to activate a performance booster I'm told (within game) that the XXXXCACH folder doesn't have a SCENERY or TEXTURE subfolder. But they do!!

I've ruled out it being a read-only file problem as I've unchecked the boxes and applied to all folders, subfolders and files within that directory. When I re-check it, the box always comes up grey but not checked (I'm running Win 7 64 bit).

I'm definitely mounting the C: drive ok as it's succesfully reading a 'booster info' file within game giving details of the scenery area. These booster files live in the XXXXCACH folders, so yeah, there isn't any confusion around directory path and the mounted C:. I just have absolutely no idea why the game can't 'see' the SCENERY and TEXTURE subfolders.

The mounted C: location is C:\DOS, so having it's own folder shouldn't have any windows file protection difficulties (I wouldn't have thought).

I've also deleted the SCENERY and TEXTURE subfolders and re-created them using MD SCENERY and MD TEXTURE prior to running the game. No cigar.

Any ideas anyone? I'm pretty much beat. 🙁

Trent

error1.png
Filename
error1.png
File size
16.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
error2.png
Filename
error2.png
File size
18.26 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's an issue with file attributes. On local drive mounts, DOSBox reports files and directories as having the archive attribute, and the game won't accept any attribute other than the directory attribute. I think the game should ignore the archive attribute, but unfortunately it's not programmed that way.

I noticed that boosters are enable by default after installation. I had to manually disable a booster and then attempt to re-enable to reproduce the problem. So the issue seems easy to avoid; at least for pre-installed scenery.

However, if you need to re-enable a booster without re-installing, or need to enable a booster for add-on scenery, you can run the attached TSR program in DOSBox as a workaround.

Attachments

• Filename
    noarcbit.zip
    File size
    189 Bytes
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 3, by BlueSox14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw8080, that's done the trick!!

You've made me a very happy man! Out of curiosity, how common is this 'problem' in older games, and will this noarcbit.com program correct this same problem every time?

Or has this been coded specifically for the FS5.1 problem?

Thanks again!

Trent

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I made the NOARCBIT program for this specific case, and I have not encountered another game with the same exact issue.

The archive attribute with local drive mounts is something DOSBox has been doing since its source code was first uploaded to the repository in 2002, so the behavior is kind of grandfathered-in at this point. I don't know of any game that NEEDS the behavior, but only games that don't like it would call attention to themselves, as in this case.