VOGONS

First post, by baka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play beast within:gabriel knight. I have windows version of it. I tried setup.exe but for some reason it doesn't work on my winxp pro. I ran setup.exe, it plays a bacground music and you can see it on taskbar but there're no windows visible. I tried to run with windows 95 compatibility mode but didn't work either. I tried virtual pc but couldn't managed to run it.

I tried dosbox 0.61. I mounted a folder on my hdd as c: and I mounted cd-rom as d:. I ran install.exe and choose "accept these choices and save configuration" on setup screen and got this error:

"error creating configuration file"

what am I doing wrong? I searched forum but couldn't find any info. can you please help me with this?

Reply 1 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you mount c: as c:\ before switching directories? You will also need to mount your CD drive as well.

If this does not work tell us step by step what you are doing.

P.S. I only use 0.61 if 0.60 doesn't work as 0.61 actually has more problems that 0.60. It is compatible with some newer stuff, but doesn't work with as much of the old.

Reply 2 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oopps. Disregard that last part. If you have the windows version it is not going to work with DOSBOX at all. There is something called VDMSound, but I don't know much about it, so I can't really help you there.

Reply 3 of 8, by baka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you mount c: as c:\ before switching directories? You will also need to mount your CD drive as well.

If this does not work tell us step by step what you are doing.

I didn't mount drive c: because only d: has enough empty space for the game.

I only did the following:

mount c: d:\games\
mount d: f:\
d:
install

Reply 4 of 8, by baka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hazekel wrote:

Oopps. Disregard that last part. If you have the windows version it is not going to work with DOSBOX at all. There is something called VDMSound, but I don't know much about it, so I can't really help you there.

Well, it's windows version but the install.exe is a dos setup so I assume I should be able to install it using dosbox.

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a utility for the hidden Sierra setup. This bug effects several Sierra Windows games.

http://ayumi_chan15.tripod.com/soft/lsl7setup.html

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by baka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

There is a utility for the hidden Sierra setup. This bug effects several Sierra Windows games.

http://ayumi_chan15.tripod.com/soft/lsl7setup.html

I can't thank you enough. I managed to install it finally. Thank you!

I can play the game but it doesn't work full screen. Argh! Any ideas on this?