VOGONS

First post, by rev79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm using the newest version of Dosbox(6.x, I believe), and am getting beyond frustrated with trying to get this going. 😜
When I get my e: drive mounted(which is where the cd-rom is), then type e:install, it brings up the listing of games that I can choose to install.
This is the Roberta Williams Anthology coll., so there are many choices. It says to pick the letter of the game you wish to install, which is L. for KQ6. I type L, it does absolutely nothing. None of the other letters will work either except for E. Its like my keyboard just konks out right then. So at that point, I exit Dosbox and keep trying it again..same thing. It won't let me type a game letter at that screen- the cursor just sits there flashing and does nothing.
Any idea what the problem could be??
I appreciate anyone's help..

Reply 1 of 7, by foexxchen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosBox does not seem to be fully able to interpret .bat files correctly. Thus, the installation doesn't work.

Here's as far as I have gotten to install it:

In dosbox:
change to your cdrom (d: assumed here) and "cd kq6\dosonly"
"install6"
when asked choose the big install
the installer will complain about missing files, so we copy manually
"copy d:\kq6\ressource.* c:\sierra\kq6cd"
"c:"
"cd sierra\kq6cd"
"mkdir actors"
"copy d:\kq6\actors\*.* actors"

You can already start the game now. But trying to watch the intro will crash it because of missing movie files

If you manage to get any further, please let me know....

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game should install normally and run in DOSBox. Just make sure that you've mounted both your C: drive and your CD for both installing and playing the game. If you have the CD version of the game, you should try to get the Windows version going, as it has higher resolution graphics than does the DOS version.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

King's quest 6 also had highres talking heads on the screen in the windows version. Gabriel knight also had high res interogation screens i think

Reply 6 of 7, by rev79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I attempt to install the game to Windows, I get a message saying I need to have Microsoft Windows installed! 🤣, how ridiculous..
so, I've broken down and busted out my Win 3.x PC just to play these games. That's how bad I was jonesing!

Reply 7 of 7, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, the games work just fine in the CVS version.. :p
I have installed and run them by cd just fine
And you can copy the entire contents of the CD to your HD and modify the resource.cfg to point to the directory you copied everything to.
Nearly every Sierra CD is compatible in doing it the latter way. 😀
No need to scratch up your old cds. :p.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.