VOGONS

First post, by kamskyleo

User metadata

I'm trying to play daggerfall on my laptop with xp (FAT32, Home Edition) on... so I tried to install it with dagnt5.exe (40mb) after I used dosbox 0.61 with the lines (in the [autoexec] space): mount c c:\dagger , c: , fall.exe z.cfg; I changed the [cycles] number to 10000... but I always got the same black screen and dosbox crashes with no answer. If someone knows how to help me, please answer immediately or I will format my PC to DOS!!!

Reply 1 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This belongs to DOSBOX Games/Apps, not VDMSound General.

No idea why it does not work (Daggerfall works ok in DOSBOX)... Do you have a fully patched game? Did you configure the sound properly?

Mirek

Reply 2 of 12, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize before hand if this is a problem where I can find an answer to elsewhere (like the "readme.txt".). But I tried what the "readme" file said and still can't get daggerfall to work.

What I first do is try to install the game. I got no problems except one. If I mount and install from the CD, the second box (that appears behind the box where you type in all the information.) starts going crazy saying "warning: could not create *.* (there all wierd names, and just keeps going). The only way I found to fix this is to copy all the data from the CD onto my hardrive, and running the installation from there.

Now this is the main problem. When the game is installed, I mount the directory where the game is, and mount another directory where the information from the CD is (I did this with both the data on the hardrive and from the CD). I keep getting an error message from the game saying it can read the CD but it's the wrong one.

Now I used the mount command with the "-t -cdrom" command and "-usecd # (#=what's the number for the drive.)". Is there anything else I could do? I saw something about "-label" but am not certain how I use this command. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i think you need to mount a C:\ drive as well
(and your cdrom) when installing the game. Else the game can not write to your harddisk.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 12, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I got the info and did all the steps on how to run the game without the CD, Freddo, but I can't finish the first step, that requires you to install the game fully. Everytime I do this I mount it to "mount * *:\games\daggerfall". This works with the installation, except the game thinks there is not enough room on the hardrive (I have a 60 Gig hardrive!), so I can only choose the option of minimal (the smallest setting in installing it.) All of the rest of the steps I have done, and the game almost works (the emulator would go black, looks like its loading something, but then it would close itself.).

Here's another ridiculus question that probably could be answered via readme, but I could not figure out how to do it. How would I modify the memory or hardrive space to make this game do a full install?

Reply 6 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes read the readme there is a example in there demostrating how to get 800 mb.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried the example in the "readme.txt" last night, this is what I read up in the readme:

4. To mount a drive with 870 mb free diskspace (rarely needed! experts only):
mount c d:\ -size 4025,127,16513,1700

And this is what I typed into the emulator:

mount c *:\games\daggerfall -size 4025,127,16513,1700

I still couldn't get the game to install fully. Any other suggestions?

Reply 8 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try 0.62 ?
mount then has the sizemb option

mount -sizemb 1000 would give 1000 mb

Reply 9 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the emulated size that is the problem. The game needs about 500mb or so. The installer won't work correctly in DOSBox 0.61. Hopefully it does in 0.62.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I grabbed "dosbox 0.62" and the installation worked fine now. I was able to get the game to install at it's maximum. And did the rest of the steps that Freddo gave me (copy paste "arena2" folder, modify "z.cfg" file, and type in "fall.exe z.cfg".)

The screen goes black again and then closes itself (it was just like last time.) I know I did all the steps right on my side. Oh well, maybe something wrong with my computer, I'll try again some other time. Thank you guys for your help!

Reply 11 of 12, by JubJub

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Daggerfall installed, and all that stuff, and I can even get it to run(following the instrctions in this thread) but I can't use the mouse. I don't know what the problem is, ARENA recogizes the mouse, Daggerfall doesn't.