VOGONS

First post, by Ross Clement

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm trying to install Windows 3.11 on dosbox, running on Fedora Core Linux. I get one screen of the installer, and then I get the error:

Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

I suppose I was optimistic to try and install windows, but I thought I'd mention the error in case it's of use to anyone.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Everything would be perfect it it wasn't for this one small glitch....

Reply 2 of 6, by Ross Clement

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before I posted in the forum I tried a number of variations of the error in the search box for these forums, but found nothing relevent.

"No topics or posts met your search criteria". Or, a list of irrelevant articles if I made things more general.

Same for installing windows. I searched through google quite a bit, and found other people with similar problems, but no hint of a solution. I presumed that this is due to dos calls not handled by the software, and hence was a matter for developers, not a general forum.

If I'm in the wrong forum, could you at least say which forum I should be in.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Everything would be perfect it it wasn't for this one small glitch....

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

*unlocked and merged*

Well the truth is many people tell stuff like this and the installation of windows has been discussed many times as (you can see on the homepage) their is some suggestion that this is possible.

Problems with applications should go one forum lower.

The bug you mentioned is way too general though. (it's the execution of
00 00 00 (so nullcode) ) That's our fault (the weird/not clear error message).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What I meant was that Windows installation was discussed many times...

However since QBIX unlocked this, I will repeat it:
Do not bother with running Windows in DOSBOX 0.61...
Next version will run 16 bit Windows somehow - generally only in 16 colors, no mouse or sound when being in extended mode. No file sharing - so no MS Office applications. No Win32s extension.

You would have found most of these information if you searched and the rest after the next version is released.

Mirek