VOGONS

First post, by cyrano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

First i want to say sorry about my bad english..

I read this forum since a few time now.. i found a lot of great help and info about emulation. I can now enjoy to play to my hold dos game.. Master of magic.. UFO, speedball2, colonization, albion,them park etc etc.. thx a lot for the great work with the tools and with this forum.

I come here today because i have a problem with privateer. I have Win xp pro.512 mg ram, Pentium 1,8 Gg. It s pretty slow atm.
I have read a lot of things about privateer and dosbox .. i know i have to wait an other dosbox version to have the speedgame problem fixed.(perhaps..)

My kestion is about the choice of the control.. i don t have a joystick atm.. i have tryed the mouse.. and it s really impossible.
Then i have tryed the keyboard.. and i got the bad surprise to see my target cursor jumping arround the enemy ship when i try to target it.. I think because my computer is just too slow.. It s coming from the lag. But i m not sure.

This is why i am here atm.. Is there someone arround who can send me some tips ? I have frame at 0. But it has done nothing.

Thx you by advance for your time. It s good to see some others ppls who keep interest in hold games and take their time to make them working on windows.

A little kestion again for pirates!gold! .. this game works well with win xp.. But it s just too fast . i can play naval battle =(. any tips for this too?

Thx you for your time,

regards,

Cyrano

Reply 1 of 2, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno I have a P4. It works well on my system with keyboard. Mouse has never been a good option in Privateer.
Either A) Wait for 0.62 or B) Get a new computer.
I dunno how else to help. Read the readmes about Cycles and frameskip. For instance 0 means no frameskiping which is actually slower than uping the frameskip a couple. I run on frameskip=1 which seems optimal for my system but it is different for everyone.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.