VOGONS

First post, by MoonTurtle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this game for MS-DOS, called "Bad Cat" (though some versions are named Street Cat) and it has this really amazing title theme playing via digital sample, however, I don't know if its just a DOSBox exclusive problem, but its a problem no less,

when the digital sample is playing, there's this hissing sound that plays during the sample that is really loud, which is unfortunate because it makes the title them unlistenable, (it's even more unfortunate when you know Chris Huelsbeck composed it.)

I tried modifying the DOSBox cycle settings around to see if the buzzing would go away, or at the very least, but I was unable to get it to go away,

If there is a way to fix the issue, please let me know, I would highly appreciate it. 😀

If you would like to try the game out for yourself, you can get it here:
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/street-cat-en

And yes, I did try it on both DOSBox and DOSBox ECE, and it has the same issue applies to both.
(though strangely the sample sounds more clear in DOSBox ECE, but the buzzing is louder, you will know what I mean when you here the audio for yourself.)

Also, just a sidenote, DOSBox ECE has a harder time emulating PC Speaker digital samples, normal DOSBox doesn't really have issues, (well, besides the complaint above)

When ECE tries to play digital samples through PC Speaker, it sounds more shrill and buzzy in comparison to normal DOSBox,

Here's another game that has digitized music on its title screen, "Galactic Conqueror", in DOSBox, it's actually a fairly clear sample, a little bit of buzzing can be heard, (though its nowhere near as loud as Bad Cat's) but on DOSBox ECE, the sample is more shrill.

I've used D-Fend Reloaded to record the sound for both DOSBox and DOSBox ECE versions of the audio, for both Galactic Conqueror and Bad Cat for your convenience, so you can listen for youself

You can get DOSBoxECE here:
https://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/

Attachments

• Filename
    GalacticConquerorSamples.zip
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File comment
    This Contains both DOSBox and DOSBoxECE audio recordings via D-Fend Reloaded
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    BadCatSamples.zip
    File size
    2.12 MiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File comment
    This Contains both DOSBox and DOSBoxECE audio recordings via D-Fend Reloaded
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception