VOGONS

Lost in Time?

Topic actions

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much doesn't work at all. I have to install it in regular WinXP command prompt and then run dos box to play it but when I run lost.exe or lost.bat or whatever the program file is it just does a black screen with the flashing cursor on the top left corner like everything happens in dos when it crashes.

Any help?

Reply 2 of 12, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't tried this game myself, but according to the DOSBOX page it is playable on 0.60. Perhaps you should try it on DOSBOX 0.60. I know it sounds strange, but somethings which won't run on 0.61 will run on 0.60 and vice versa. That is why I keep both on my computer. Generally speaking, I try 0.60 first and then only try 0.61 if that doesn't work.

Reply 5 of 12, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's that now? I looked at all the commands and tried them all but I don't remember that one. Could you perhaps explain how to use it?

Reply 8 of 12, by lee-meere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Did you ever get lost in time to work as i'm still desperately trying and having the same problems as you.

i would be grateful if you could send me an email:

l.meere@tiscali.co.uk

Many Thanks

Lee

Reply 10 of 12, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lee-meere wrote:

Hi
Did you ever get lost in time to work

The game (v. 1.0 - released in 1993) works fine in DOSBox 0.61 and 0.62 on XP. I have CD ROM mounted as:
mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Reply 12 of 12, by Koru-chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*whistles low* wow, this was posted a long time ago... but for the sake of if anyone else has this problem and looks at this thread in the hopes of finding an answer at the bottom, I'll respond anyway...

are you trying to double click lost.exe or lost.bat while dosbox is open? I dunno, that's what it sounds like you're describing. If that's the case, you need to actually open it from dosbox, not open it from the folder. It won't work that way. Dosbox doesn't make the files usable in general, it makes them usable in dosbox.

Anyway, make sure that you are mounting the hard drive and the cd drive correctly. For WinXP, here are my settings that I have to automatically run at dosbox's startup:

MOUNT C C:\SIERRA\LOST
MOUNT D E:\ -t cdrom -USECD 1 -ioctl
C:
LOST

That starts up LIT. If it still doesn't work, download the patch (there's a link on the forum somewhere). If all else fails, get a newer version of dosbox.