VOGONS

First post, by DosMan0007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got drugwars.exe and it has a date of 1986. It's the one with the large green letters, and you can move between 6 locations in New York, Bronx, Ghetto, Central Park, Coney Island, Manhattan and I forgot the other location. When you go to the Bronx, you're asked if you want to visit the loan shark, visit the bank etc. etc. You can Sell, Buy or Jet.

So maybe 5 minutes into playing, the game crashes with an error message "Too many files at address 01A3:4233"

I've tried lowering the memsize to 8 from 16, and that had no effect, game still crashes like this. Anyone else running into this problem?

There is no files=40 line in the Dosbox config file, and I seen someone say about having a config.sys file with the files=40 line added, but I'm running on the E:\ drive not C:\.

Any help you could give is most appreciated. Thanks.

If I can run 100 games on DOS, and only 5 games on a Mac, then a DOS PC IS better than a Mac. Just sayin'

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
DosMan0007 wrote:

So maybe 5 minutes into playing, the game crashes with an error message "Too many files at address 01A3:4233"

That error occurs when the high score file can't be created; so it appears you had reached the game over screen and neglected to mention that.

Anyway, you will have to mount an A: drive because that's where the game insists on putting the score file. I think the simplest thing to do is to mount the game folder as if it were a floppy drive -- that way the executable and score file will be in the same place. For example:

mount a c:\dosgames\drugwars -t floppy
a:
drugwars