VOGONS

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Is there a way to load Doom WADS located in a different directory from the game files?

For example, if I put all my WADS into a file called "Doom WADS" inside the game directory located at "C:\Program Files\DOSBox\Games\Doom"

Can they still be loaded?

Is there a way to do this with a batch file perhaps?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but please don't use spaces in directory names if you intend to use them for DOSBox and DOS games/applications.

If you are running the DOS version of DOOM under DOSBox, you need to provide the path in the DOSBox mounted filesystem.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 6, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Yes, but please don't use spaces in directory names if you intend to use them for DOSBox and DOS games/applications.

Also, everything under "C:\Program Files" is write protected (you need administrator privileges to create/modify/delete files/folders).

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 3 of 6, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

If you are running the DOS version of DOOM under DOSBox, you need to provide the path in the DOSBox mounted filesystem.

So what command would I use then?

I can load WADS if they are in the same directory as the Doom game files using the following example:

mount c "c:\program files\dosbox\games\doom"
c:
doom.exe -file XXXX.WAD

However, I want to load WADS from the following path:

"c:\program files\dosbox\games\doom\doom wads"

Reply 4 of 6, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
dr_st wrote:

Also, everything under "C:\Program Files" is write protected (you need administrator privileges to create/modify/delete files/folders).

No need to worry about any of that. It's easily worked around by quoting the file path.

Reply 5 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Avenger wrote:
I can load WADS if they are in the same directory as the Doom game files using the following example: […]
Show full quote

I can load WADS if they are in the same directory as the Doom game files using the following example:

c:
doom.exe -file XXXX.WAD

So what's the problem? Mount the other directory as drive D, and run doom -file D:\XXXX.WAD.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 6, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Avenger wrote:
I can load WADS if they are in the same directory as the Doom game files using the following example: […]
Show full quote

c:
doom.exe -file XXXX.WAD

So what's the problem? Mount the other directory as drive D, and run doom -file D:\XXXX.WAD.

Perfect. That took care of it.

I tried to mount it as a second drive but did not know I needed the "d:\" in front of the wad file.

Thanks for your time.