VOGONS

First post, by Shurhaian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running Windows XP Home edition, DOSBox 0.61.

When I try to run X-COM: Terror from the Deep(terror.com), I get a black screen with a triangle pointer in truly awful colours at one side of the screen; after a few seconds, the console shows the message "Exit to error: Unhandled CPU opcode", and after a few seconds more, DOSBox disappears entirely.

Apocalypse is another matter. I'm not clear on how to use the -size parameter of mount(more detail in the readme would be helpful), and when I try to fiddle with it, I can't convince Apoc to notice that C: is there to install to. If I leave it at default, it only allows 105MB free, and Apoc requires 200 for optimal install.

Whether I install from within Windows(can't set up the sound card thus), or use the smaller install(s), when I actually try to run Apoc, I get the opening cutscene, but then it bombs right back to the DOSBox command line. No messages, no errors, nothing.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 2, by KYKYLLIKA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I can help you with mount.

-freesize parameter requires the numerical representation of the desired space in MB.

If you want to mount your c drive and make the programs think it has 1 GB, then you ought to write: mount c c:\ -freesize 1028
This will make a virtual c drive which has all files your physical c drive has and a 1028 MB of free space.

... For no creatures under God are as we are, yet none as much as Him as ourselves.

Reply 2 of 2, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

TFTD runs fine here, as UFO does.

Be sure all files are writeable (remove the readonly attribute),
and set the soundblaster correctly, or even try with sound
disabled.
Use normal core, should run fast enough (or try full core).

wd