VOGONS

First post, by dosdude82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can play the games fine except for one important thing.
When I use joy2key to map the buttons etc and start the game I get a odd problem.

The wrestler will move all by himself, this also affects WWF in your house. I did try setting the joystick timed to false.
So far nothing has worked.

Is there a fix for this or am I out of luck?

Reply 1 of 20, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For starters, the games support up to four buttons directly. If you want to map the two actions, that require two buttons to be held simultaneously (running and blocking), to a single button, just use the internal mapper of DOSBox (Ctrl + F1). So there's no need to use Joy2Key. Setting the option "timed=false" in the config was the right thing, btw.

Also make sure to calibrate your controller in the option menu (F3 in the title screen), depending on your controller, turning on the option "circularinput=true" in your conf file might be helpful here.

That should be all there's to do, both games run and control very well in DOSBox, Wrestlemania is a fantastic arcade conversion and the best home version there is!

Last edited by Yesterplay80 on 2019-03-08, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 3 of 20, by dosdude82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got WWF WrestleMania the arcade game working but I can't remap the buttons.

I tried the in game joystick button settings and I can't the buttons to be the correct layout.

It should be

P. Power punck
K. Power kick
Oh well..
I guess I'll stick to the mame version.

Reply 4 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And that's, friends, is why it's best to just learn to use the darn keyboard to play DOS games that are actually easier to control with a keyboard that a stupid pad.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 20, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

And that's, friends, is why it's best to just learn to use the darn keyboard to play DOS games that are actually easier to control with a keyboard that a stupid pad.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Especially the two games mentioned here work perfectly fine with a controller out of the box. Plus DOSBox makes using a controller even easier and much more flexible, thanks to its mapper. If you want you can play many, many games just as if you'd play them on a console. It's only a matter of 5 minutes to read the wiki, and to set up your game mapping.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 6 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS games don't benefit from a digital controller, and the 4-button limit is a serious hurdle in many of them. The two WWF games specifically are probably easier to control with a keyboard, since they only use simple quarter turns for moves, but do have a lot of double taps (Forward-Forward, Back-Back, or Down-Down); plus, you don't need nonsense like holding two buttons for a single action.

It is true that DOSBox's mapper makes a wonderful job bridging the configurability gap (and overriding the 4-button limit), but apparently, it turned out not to be as easy or quick for our friend here.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, the music is in CD audio tracks. You need to mount the CD in DOSBox with -ioctl_dx parameter to hear CD audio.

Reply 9 of 20, by kingofrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

IIRC, the music is in CD audio tracks. You need to mount the CD in DOSBox with -ioctl_dx parameter to hear CD audio.

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry but I don't understand what that means. I'm using DFend Reloaded front end, is there a way to mount it with that?

Reply 10 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not familiar with DFend, but probably. Are you using the original CD? A CD image? A "CD-rip"? Where did you get the game?

Reply 11 of 20, by kingofrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Not familiar with DFend, but probably. Are you using the original CD? A CD image? A "CD-rip"? Where did you get the game?

I'm using a CD rip. I don't see the music tracks in the game folder, but I have mp3s of all the tracks. Could I burn the tracks to CD and get them to play with the game in Dosbox, or put them in the game folder maybe?

Reply 12 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should be able to get it to work by burning the CD. Just putting MP3s in the gaming folder wouldn't help. DOSBox can mount ISO with CD audio if the tracks are in OGG format, provided you have a CUE file with the indices accompanying the tracks. I don't think the default DOSBox supports MP3, but some distributions do, IIRC.

Reply 13 of 20, by kingofrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

You should be able to get it to work by burning the CD. Just putting MP3s in the gaming folder wouldn't help. DOSBox can mount ISO with CD audio if the tracks are in OGG format, provided you have a CUE file with the indices accompanying the tracks. I don't think the default DOSBox supports MP3, but some distributions do, IIRC.

I guess I have to mount this bin and cue somehow?

Last edited by kingofrock on 2019-05-27, 21:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 20, by kingofrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Thanks, I was able to load the cue with DFend reloaded but now it goes to the "welcome to DOSbox prompt and stops. The game played great without music before I loaded the cue. Is this a major slow down? I have windows 7.

Reply 18 of 20, by kingofrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anybody know if there is a setting to improve the resolution of the FMVs that play at the beginning and end of this game? The Youtube videos show good picture quality but mine are a bit blurry.