VOGONS

First post, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arena (CD version) seems to work no more in DOSBox. It was runable and rather playable in 0.61 but when I try to run arena.bat file in 0.62 the game won't even start to intro movie. Just black screen without any sound.
I run DOSBox in on default configuration (Like in 0.61). All I adjusted was CPU cycles settings. Value 12000 is not heavy load for my P4 2.4 gHz according to XP taskmanager. I suppose the fault is not caused by this settings though. I tried both real CD mounted and ISO image mounted. Both have the same effect - ma anger.

Anybody tried this game in 0.62 version?

Reply 1 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird it runs fine overhere.
are you certain you set the sound blaster values correctly ?
i got to the title screen. (and futher)

This is the free downloadable floppy version though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 12, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Arena setup I set SoundBlaster 16 and MPU401. Tests were successful. But there is no problem in sound settings in my opinion. Game won't run even if I set NO SOUND and NO MUSIC in setup.

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

with the no sound option in the setup i clicked till i was in a dungeon.

Could somebody with the windows version of dosbox try it ?
It runs fine under linux.

(Arena was released for "free" by it's creator)

Reply 6 of 12, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arena 1.06 (anniversary edition free download) works correctly for me too. Proper wave and midi, no complication on execution and saving the game.

CD version still refuses to be started. Installation works perfectly. Have tried it to install and play from physical drive (mounted in DOSBox in all three possible levels of mounting). It doesn't work from mounted emulated CD drive (used alcohol 120% for it) and ISO image mounting in DOSBox (a new DOSBox function) is also unsuccessful. Arena.bat file has proper path for source CD.

It truly worked without any further settings in previous version.

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Odd. Not that much has changed as far as I know in the cdrom emulation.

Which level of emulation was needed in 0.61 to get it running ?

Reply 9 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

okay. could you tell me the label of the cdrom of arena ?

and if it's shorter then 8 chars could you test if the imgfile for alcohol works with imgmount ?

Reply 10 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD version of Arena rarely ever works for me. Neither in 0.58, 0.60, 0.61 or 0.62. I'm not sure why, as it works sometimes when I do nothing different. I have only tried with a directory mounted as a CD with 0.62 and will try it with a image file later. Basically, nothing happens. Just the mouse cursor shows up in a black screen and that's it.

Floppy version (download version) runs fine, tho.

Reply 11 of 12, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

okay. could you tell me the label of the cdrom of arena ?

and if it's shorter then 8 chars could you test if the imgfile for alcohol works with imgmount ?

The label is fully DOS compatible: ARENA_CD

From readme I learned that DOSBox supports both ISO and Bin images. So I made both in alcohol. They are both fully mountable in DOSBox (I can see folders, files, complete structure of cd is shown). The next is little off topic: I usually use this way of playing of CD games. No long waiting for correct CD spin. It works, playing Alone in the dark CD version with mounted virtual alcohol drive is great. However I found that in case I want mount ISO or Bin image directly in DOSBox with imgmount command (not in windows through alcohol) CD is successfuly found in DOSBox, all files are shown, but Alone in the dark won't start. Only dead black screen, like Arena. It's no serious problem because it's still playable with alcohol. Arena won't start in neither way.

Reply 12 of 12, by qbus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my retale cd version dosnt work in .62 but it runs with no problems in .61

here is the .bat i made to run the game

mount E: E:\ -t cdrom
cd ARENA_CD
arena

in .62 it seems that everything mounts just like in .61 and then starts to run but nothing happens just get a black screen and then i have to restart dosbox

o and l im running it in windows xp (as if you coudnt tell from the bat (-; )