VOGONS

First post, by Locke_down

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi and thanks for all the help I've already gotten from the DOSBOX step by steps.
here's the problem:
I mounted my D: drive for the game and tried various things. This games pretty old and i haven't played it since my last computer in '99.
There are a couple of files there and I'm not sure which one's the correct install file.

Here is EVERYTHING I tried, so if it's a little long, please bear with me and weed out the useless stuff.

When I run install.bat in DOSBOX after waiting for about 30 seconds I get the main screen for a few seconds, then it goes back to DOSBOX with this message:
Installation could not continue!
Either and error occured, or you canceled installation.
If you need help, please refer to your manuals, then if you still need help, call Sanctuary Woods...

When I run the i.exe file in DOSBox, same thing happens except no error message at all.

When I just try to click on the install.bat file i get a blank screen and then this error message:
FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED:
Initial allocation failed in mem_initcor()
Error code: 0X0005
Code found in: MASTER.M4E
Offending EXE: I.EXE
Source code index: ..\mem\MEM_MAN.C:94
Path to EXE: D:\

Description:
initcore

Installation could not continue!
Either...... same message as before

when i run i.exe without DOSBox i get the same as right above without the "Installation could not continue!" message.

I tried to copy the files onto my hard drive and when i ran the install program I got this similar message:
FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED:
Attempt at freeing an already free block

Error code: 0x0006
Offending EXE: I.EXE
Source code index: ..\mem\MEM_MAN.C:279
Path to EXE: C:\RIDDLE\

Description:
Bfree

Installation could not continue!......
same message
Strangely, after I did this I went back and tried to do it on the D: drive again, and it actually worked.... for about a minute. I got as far as the screen asking if i wanted full, medium, or minimum installation, and it went out with the same message about contacting Sanctuary Woods, which I actaully tried to do. I got some guy's business cell phone, so I'm guessing either Sanctuary Woods is out of business or i dialed the wrong number.

Thats pretty much it. Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I love this game. 😁
Here's all my computer information that I know of:

Motherboard: no clue, my computer is a micron
Processor type and speed: Pentium III
Amount and type of RAM:plenty, dont know how much or what type, but my brother but alot of extra RAM a while ago
Operating system: WINDOWS ME
Sound mode used: Dont know sound or video mode
Version of emulator: DOSBox 0.62

Edit:
If anyone has a manual to the game it might help me with some troubleshooting.

Last edited by Locke_down on 2004-10-07, 23:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These problems occur on my computer only when I run i.exe or install.bat in NTVDM (The NT Virtual DOS Machine). In DOSBox 0.62 install works without any problem as well as game itself (except of occasional slowness during animations). Try to read "The Newbie's Pictorial Guide To DOSBox" and run the game in DOSBox again.
The Newbie's Pictorial Guide To DOSBox

Reply 2 of 7, by Locke_down

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out what the problem was. It was the readme file thing. I overlooked that when i first read that pictoral guide. It wouldn't uncheck the reame box on the cd, so i tried it on the copied files and it worked! yay!

now i'm having trouble with the sound card stuff. i dont know what kind of sound card i have or all the ports or whatever. and the game wont start without the sound card being right i think. I get an error message about it, and the detect settings button in the setup doesn't seem to be doing shit. a

any help?

i get this error message:
FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED:
File not found
Error code: 0x0800
Offending EXE: RIDDLE.EXE
Source code index ..\fileio\F_SYSFIL.CPP:519
Path to EXE: C:\RIDDLE\

Description:
hash file not found:

Reply 3 of 7, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can choose "FM (SB/Pro/16)" for music and Sound Blaster (the game seems to work fastest with it), SB PRO or SB 16 as digital sound card. No need to insert ports, irq etc., autodetection of these values should work fine after you picked out the right card.

Last edited by Jiri on 2004-10-05, 18:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by Locke_down

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I keep getting the same error message, so that must not be what's wrong. I know i've run other programs with the soundblaster, so it should work. There's got to be some other kind of problem besides the sound setup.

Reply 6 of 7, by Locke_down

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i reinstalled it and it works!
i dont know why it works but it does =/
now i have choppy sound and video.(one problem after another)
I can get the video to be not too bad with the cycles and frameskip, but the sound is really bad.

Reply 7 of 7, by Locke_down

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sound's still choppy. I did most of the stuff it said on the dosbox website and it didnt help. any suggestions? I'm playing through it anyway, but its very hard to understand the dialog.

any suggestions?