VOGONS

First post, by MokahTGS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have DOSBox .62 and the original game disks for Ultima 7: The Black Gate and The Forge of Virtue.

The Game works perfectly with just Ultima 7 installed, but as soon as I install Forge of Virtue the game will crash back to a DOS prompt as soon as the game loads.

It plays the main menu and the intro so I don't think it's a sound issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet

Reply 1 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to delete the directory GAMEDATA (or whatever is its name ...). It is basically unpacked latest save game and when anything gets corrupted there, the game crashes when trying to load it ...

Mirek

Reply 5 of 12, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ultima 7 doesn't run here either, i could only play it on dosbox 0.58, but no success since then...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 12, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Runs prefectly fine for me (I have the fully installed CD->HD Version of the game) from the Ultima Collections CD with the Addon already installed. Haven't had any problems with it.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 12, by agentj3di

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

stop using Dosbox for Ultima, go get EXULT! It plays all of Ultima VII and in better res if you want, and extra menus etc etc its beautiful, you can even download the original music in super quality to use with it.. anyway, trust me as a Ultima lover, it plays just like the original 😀

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner now *I* am the master.

Afterward, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey.

Reply 8 of 12, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Original music in MT-32 or other soundcards but not in my original music aka Soundblaster. (which is why I stick to DOSBox) 😁.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 12, by agentj3di

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm well i dont know, i havent played in awhile, but i get music that is the same music i remember having, when playing in DOS ... ?

The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner now *I* am the master.

Afterward, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey.

Reply 10 of 12, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used it enough that Soundblaster (FM) isn't the same if you listen to it in DOSBox vs Exult. There is a difference.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 11 of 12, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the error i get on 0.62 when trying to run Ultima 7... Any ideas???

Attachments

• u7error.JPG
    Filename
    u7error.JPG
    File size
    39.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error on DosBox
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 12 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have not met any problems. But here is what I would do if I had problems:
- ckeck sound configuration
- delete content of GAMEDAT directory (as mentioned above: this is the unpacked last save game and if anything is wrong there, the game crashes while trying to load it - which both U7 and U8 do automatically when the game is started)

Other than that I do not know. I have versions of Ultima 7 with included datadiscs, they run ok.

Mirek