VOGONS

First post, by KO23L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I would like to discuss the DOSbox settings (config) for Golden Axe game (classic PC MS-DOS version).

Yesterday I have tried to run the game on actual latest DOSbox build 0.74-2 and Iam having some issues for which i could not find solution.

My spec:
Win 10 Home
Intel Core i5-9400F (2.9GHz, TB 4GHz)
16GB RAM DDR4 2666 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

I have started with clean dosbox install (default settings) and just tried to run the game, but I have found that the game suffers from some lets say slow-downs or tearing mainly when the enemies appears. The more enemies appear = the bigger the slow-down is.

I was trying to set the fixed core emulation (tried the 386 one) but this doesnt bring any results, then i was trying to set rendering from surface to opengl. The opengl settings came with minor improvement (now i was at least able to fight with Level 1 boss-pack and win - not being killed in "lag/freez") but still it is not running smoothely.

Does someone have any tips on what settings to tweak to make ideal config for this particular game? Should i focus more on tweaking the game cycles, or enable some frameskip to get the illusion of smooth run?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some insights 😊 .

Reply 2 of 11, by KO23L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried shifting cycles a bit by CTRL-F11, CTRL-F12, but havent feel too much difference (felt like game was faster overally, but enemy appearance then make even more significant slow-down), so I have focused on other settings.
I think i have also tried some DOSBox config from other one of old DOS games i have on GoG, and i think that this one has about 1000 cycles set-up (but thats the lower number than default 3k and you have been talking about increasing).

So I probably should give it another shot, with cycles tweaking. What do you think could be the better value for Golden Axe, thank default 3000 cycles? So I can start somewhere, then try lowering/adding a bit to find the best value.

Reply 3 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always run with core=auto, cycles=max, unless I see problems. Then I start messing with the core mode / lowering cycles.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3000 is way too low for Golden Axe in VGA, I can't try it right now to give you an exact number though. Since it's so easy to experiment with cycles, just try 10-15-20K or max as dr_st suggested and see how it goes.

Reply 5 of 11, by KO23L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found another one topic (sry I didnt find it earlier, before posting my own - but really i have tried)...
I have a Golden Axe framerate problem.
... which is trying to solve the same problem.

It looks that in the end it is not possible to completely eliminate this issue in Golden Axe (conclusion = drops are present even when running on real dos environment, probably because of the "shitty Sega port" as it got called in the other topic ).

At least i can mitigate them a bit, will try the proposed setting - core normal, cputype auto and cycles max.

I will then at least comment if the game is running better (if it is playble for me that way).
Or I will stick with the Genesis port version which is aviable on Steam, or with Genesis (probably the same port as Steam one - havent bought/tested the Steam one yet) version i have in Sega collection on PS3, or with port of Arcade version I have on PS3 also.

I just wanted to play the real PC version with my kids. The version I have played first on my 286 or 386 in 1990s.

Otherwise the Genesis version is probably the closest one to the PC version in terms of color pallete, graphic details and enemy disposition/variation - have both green and red dragons) - also its emulation on PC is without problems.

In terms of graphics (color and detail) the Arcade version is the one i like the most ... it has these cherries on the cake ... Moving trees in the background of the forest, Turtle swiming animation after entering Turtle Village, and flight animation when riding the Eagle graveyardy back, the animation of Death adder forming from ... Adders! .. and corpses, but it missing the additional 2 levels which are present in Genesis and PC versions. I dont even know on which arcade machine it was released, but i have played a lot of games on MAME and havent came across the classic Golden Axe 1, just the version similar as PC/Genesis one (Playchoice10 rom on MAME) and the Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder which is like Golden Axe 4.

Found it - the arcade version was running on The System 16 Sega Arcade machine (can also be emulated on PC)

Reply 6 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the DOS port has its issues. It's very speed-sensitive, and this affects AI as well. When the game is slow, the AI is stupid and can be defeated with repetitive motions; when it's fast, the AI can be unbeatable - get hit once, and you can be destroyed without getting a single hit in.

However, with DOSBox you should be able to tweak the speed to find the good middle ground.

The nice thing about the DOS version is a hack that allows you to replace your character sprites with animal sprites (dragon / chicken legs) which makes you invulnerable. Real easy to beat the game this way. 😀

As you noticed, the Genesis version and the PC version are really close, and the emulated Genesis version gives you a more consistent experience on the PC. It's easy to set up the emulator of your choice and play a 2-player game with your kid. 😀

I am not sure about the difficulty of finding the original Arcade Golden Axe for MAME; I have it and played it extensively. I do have an older version of MAME; maybe the ROM is broken on the new versions?

But for fun factor - it's Genesis emulation all the way. You also have the Genesis-exclusive Golden Axe II (not Revenge of Death Adder) which plays a lot like Golden Axe 1.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 11, by KO23L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Yes, the DOS port has its issues. It's very speed-sensitive, and this affects AI as well. When the game is slow, the AI is stupi […]
Show full quote

Yes, the DOS port has its issues. It's very speed-sensitive, and this affects AI as well. When the game is slow, the AI is stupid and can be defeated with repetitive motions; when it's fast, the AI can be unbeatable - get hit once, and you can be destroyed without getting a single hit in.

However, with DOSBox you should be able to tweak the speed to find the good middle ground.

The nice thing about the DOS version is a hack that allows you to replace your character sprites with animal sprites (dragon / chicken legs) which makes you invulnerable. Real easy to beat the game this way. 😀

As you noticed, the Genesis version and the PC version are really close, and the emulated Genesis version gives you a more consistent experience on the PC. It's easy to set up the emulator of your choice and play a 2-player game with your kid. 😀

I am not sure about the difficulty of finding the original Arcade Golden Axe for MAME; I have it and played it extensively. I do have an older version of MAME; maybe the ROM is broken on the new versions?

But for fun factor - it's Genesis emulation all the way. You also have the Genesis-exclusive Golden Axe II (not Revenge of Death Adder) which plays a lot like Golden Axe 1.

Yes, yes I agree 😀.

The Golden Axe 2 is also good, but the third installment is not that good like first 2.

BTW: Just tried golden axe on max cycles ... and ... its too fast. Will try to find some good amout of cycles 😀.

Last edited by KO23L on 2019-05-22, 04:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by KO23L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

8000 cycles worked well for me on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo. On your system it may be different.

I have stopped decreasing at 13k cycles (going down from 20k). The game was running bit faster than ideal speed, but in larger battles i think it could have just the right speed 😀.

Reply 10 of 11, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*cough* mame *cough*

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 11 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BushLin wrote:

*cough* mame *cough*

Read the posts above describing the differences between the Arcade version (MAME) and the home ports (Genesis/DOS). It's worth to play both of them, IMO.