VOGONS

First post, by darkjezter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings all!

I've come across this gem from my youth and decided to get it running again. After getting Dosbox configured appropriately, I played for a bit and noticed an issue where key presses and releases get missed, particularly when pressing multiple keys.

This is not a call for help, but an opportunity to share my findings and solution.

After trying a few things, I reverse engineered the keyboard logic in the game and found the issue which technically is a bug in the game, but one that seems to be exacerbated by Dosbox emulation. In short, I added a queue to the binary which buffers keystrokes and feeds them into the game loop.

While I was at it, I also fixed an issue where exiting the game would leave the screen blank.

I don't know the best way to share my modifications, but thought I'd reach out here in case anyone is interested, or has suggestions. I just recall this being one of the best arcade games for my old XT clone as a child, and am currently sharing the nostalgia of it with anyone who will let me.

Cheers!