VOGONS

First post, by deltaman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble running Albion in DosBox v0.62. I'm using Ragnor, and I'm running it all on Mac OS X. I'm told that Albion must be "run in Win32."

If it'll also help, I downloaded Albion off Home of the Underdogs using Safari.

P.S. I really like these built in avatars. 😁

"God? Are you there? It's me...*Duff Man!*"

Reply 1 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
deltaman wrote:

"run in Win32."

This means that you are trying to run a Windows program. Albion is a DOS game, so maybe there is just some windows installer or even Windows version ... I do not know the Underdogs version.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 11, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

or maybe Albion is only supported in a win32 version of Dosbox ?.

also, be sure to launch the dos version of the albion installer inside dosbox since albion comes also with a windows installer although it's really a dos game. when albion was released it was a common thing to find a windows installer for a dos game.

browsing my albion CD, this is what i found :
an autorun.exe found in the root = do not launch this in dosbox, since it's the windows version of the install program.

you'v a directory called albion, there you can find a setup.exe wich launch the dos installer of the game...if by launching this you'v still the win32 error, then it seems albion is only supported by a win32 version of dosbox.

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

run in win32 means that it is a windows program

the capabilities of dosbox are the same on all hosts with the default settings.

so if it runs in dosbox then it runs in dosbox on any platform.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 11, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the game is not useable, all the data is archived with a compression program and spanned into multiple files (*.exe;*.r01;*r02 etc... It seems it's a RAR auto-extracting archive, the albion.exe launch a self-extract proggy wich uncompress all the game's data into a dir. this has nothing to do with the game itself, there's no need to launch dosbox now.

Rar exist for macOs, but it's only available as command line only version (no GUI) http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm

Reply 6 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It looks like the whole program is packed by WinRAR. This has nothing to do with the game (the hackers who released the game did it or people from Underdogs did it). The EXE file contains windows version RAR unpacker.
You must unpack it first and then you will get game files usable in DOSBOX.
There should be some RAR unpacker on Mac ...
I do not know Mac so I cannot tell you where to get one ...

Mirek

Edited by mirekluza: billote was a bit quicker then me in answering ... 🙁

Reply 7 of 11, by deltaman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

O.K. I tried expanding Albion.exe using Stuffit Expander manually. It seemed to work (that is, do something), and an "Albion.exe Folder" got created. There were two .bat files, ALBILON.BAT and ALBILOW.BAT (for when you "have less than 8 mb of ram," so I've read).

Anyway, I tried loading it again through Ragnor. The window fades to black (I'm in windowed mode), then cuts out. 😒

Reply 8 of 11, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when you say "cut out", you mean dosbox closes itself ? or you'r just sent to the dos prompt ?

anyway, since the game seems to have been packed already installed, you should reconfigure the sound with the setup.exe wich must be in the same directory.

also, just to be sure you'v all the correct files, send a list (or a screenshot) of the files you'v in the albion directory....

Reply 9 of 11, by deltaman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I say "cut out," I mean after selecting the file I want to run with Radnor, I see the dos screen. It fades to black, then the window closes by itself.

Anyway, this is what my Albion.exe folder looks like:

screenshot25.jpg

I opened SETUP.EXE. It worked, and I was able to configure some stuff.

I then opened MAIN.EXE. That also worked, and it got me to the game (yay! 😀 ). Now, it's playing very slowely, and I'm not sure I got the opening movie working right (though I've seen it before when I fruitlessly tried to run Albion on my Toshiba laptop, before I discovered DOSBox).

Opening LAUNCH.EXE doesn't seem to work. I get the "cut out" of the window again.

So, right now I just have a quick question about how I'd speed the thing up. Also, how do I right-click, since I have a one-button mouse?

UPDATE: After doing a search, I found that there isn't a way to simulate a right-click with a one-button mouse (like holding control, or the Mac's apple key while clicking).
😠 😠 😠 😠 😠

It turns out that play control in Albion is entirely through the mouse. I'm basically unable to pick stuff up in the game.

UPDATE 2: Turns out the apple key actually is used for right-click. Nevermind about that.

But the game is still painfully slow.

Reply 10 of 11, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the movie is in smacker video format, seems to have some problems in dosbox.

about the speed, i assume you 'v tried ctrl-F11 and ctrl-F12 to speed up dosbox emulation speed ?

anyway, the game is rather heavy on ressource, you'll need a big CPU to get it running without problem..especially during 3D squences.

actually, i'm not playing this game under dosbox, it play flawlessly on my old Toshiba notebook (PII-266 with a Yamaha sound chip) straight from windows Millenium...

Reply 11 of 11, by deltaman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not that concerned about the movie yet. I just want the game to not run at a snail's pace.

Yes, I've tried ctrl-F11 and ctrl-F12.

When you say CPU, do you mean on my actual computer. My mac uses a 1.23 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, and has 768 MB DDR SDRAM of memory right now. You know, one of those new iMacs with the flat screen attached to the dome-shaped cpu by this metal rod that you can bend.

I was using a Toshiba Statelite laptop with Windows XP. I couldn't get Albion to run past the opening movie (which was really slow) without it quiting automatically. I even tried it with VGM Sound, and it still wouldn't work.
Although now that I think about it, I didn't really take as close a look at the SETUP.EXE on my laptop as I did in DOSBox...