VOGONS

First post, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked through just about every System Shock thread on here and couldn't find a solution.

I have the enhanced CD version, and of course, if I try to run the game through DOSBox from the CD, it says to run the exe from the hard drive. Ok, that's nice.. so that means I have to install it first. So I run DOSBox, mount the CDROM, and type install. Error, install must be run in windows. I see.. so I run install in my windows (win2k). Soon as it starts installing, I get an error message saying something about the wrong paramters in file=

Please help me install and run this game 😵

Reply 1 of 5, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

with my own CD edition of system shock, dosbox crash when i launch the install.exe.
anyway, i launch the install directly from windows using D:\INST\INITIAL.EXE, do not choose any sound setting and confirm the install.
files will be copied into C:\SSHOCK (default settings)
put the SSHOCK directory into dosbox the way you want, but it should be in the root of your dosbox virtual HD keepin the same path (C:\SSHOCK), launch install from the SSHOCK dir and reconfigure sound setting...then launch CDSHOCK (be sure to have mounted the CD into D:\).
it should work.
anyway, i'm not sure Dosbox is the right way to play system shock, the game need a lot of CPU power, especially if you want to play at 640x480.
with some tweakin, you can play System shock directly, having the full speed our modern CPU can offer, look here : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69578

Reply 2 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games that complain about FILES= being wrong/too low can often be silenced by creating a phony CONFIG.SYS. I think I did this when installing system shock.

Even though dosbox (or Windows 2k, or Windows XP) don't use C:\CONFIG.SYS, some programs looks at that file to see which settings you have. To make them happy, create a text file C:\CONFIG.SYS, with just one line in it:
FILES=100

That should make the installer happy.

Reply 3 of 5, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks billoute it worked 😀

Not so great though, lots of stuttering in the video.. I'll work on it now and read the topics on here and see what people have done.

moe, I already tried that trick before, it didn't work for some reason

Reply 4 of 5, by Predator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if dosbox doesnt works for you, i recommend you to use vdmsound instead. And read / search the vdmsound forum here @ vogons!

Don't be so hard
grises1.jpg

Reply 5 of 5, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried vdmsound, it crashes after the video with something like "not enough memory for email cursor" whatever the hell..

I can play it on DOSBox fine on low res. 640x400 is out of the question, any ideas on how to speed it up? It would be great to play it with better graphics 😀