VOGONS

First post, by danon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both Descent and System Shock load the dos4gw dos extender using dosbox and then crash out causing both the console and main window to close before I can see anything. The stderr.txt file says 'fatal signal: segmentation fault (SDL parachute deployed)'.

Descent did run in dosbox 0.61 but very slowly.

Descent and System Shock (Enhanced CD version...and it doesn't matter whether I use cdshock or sshock) will work if I run dosbox in compatibility mode for Win 95 (I use Win XP SP1). However, Win XP can't kill the dosbox process when I do this, and I have to use the task manager to manually kill the process.

I think the problem is specific to Descent and System Shock and perhaps some other games since I have no problem running Skynet (slow), Terra Nova (slow but playable), Warcraft, Command & Conquer (videos look great...how I missed them), Panzer General, Steel Panthers, Dark Legions, Crusader: No Regret (intro doesn't work), Star Trek: Judgement Rites, and Lucas Arts' Full Throttle (totally sweet) and Dark Forces.

Any ideas? I use the same config for all the above games including Descent and System Shock. EMS and XMS are enabled, and I have 64M of memory available to dosbox.

Please help and thanks for an awesome program.

Reply 2 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were some problems in DOSBox 0.62 that were not caught before its release that borked later versions of Descent after 1.0 (not sure about System Shock CD though) but that has all been fixed quite recently in the source code 😀.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 8, by danon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

priestlyboy...

Your posts are always helpful, and have solved a bunch of issues with the other games that I got running.

On this issue, are you saying I should re-download dosbox 0.62? I downloaded 0.62 about two weeks ago (10/08/04).

Reply 8 of 8, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't install System Shock cd ver. under official DB 0.62. After executing initial.exe DosBox freezes... I can always install the game under older version (ex. 0.61) but it would be nice to fix it... 😉

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit