VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi!

I have tried this now with two different versions of "Their Finest Hour" - both a disk and a cdrom version: when i run the install, i get an error that the hard disk is full, when in actually fact i have like over 40gigs free on the drive and the c drive i use for Dosbox is just mount c c:\games - this is the only game so far where the install throws up this error

can someone help me please and tell me how i might be able to have the install recognise that i have enough space free - is it somethingi n the config i need to change or is there a command i can type in?

thank you

Reply 1 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can specify the amount of free space of a mounted directory with the -freesize parameter to the mount command:

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT

YouTube and Bonus
80386DX@25 MHz, 8 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & BlasterBoard, PC MIDI Card + SC55 + MT32, XT CF Lite, OSSC

Reply 2 of 6, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay thanks - i tried that now with a few variations of size - 200, 500, 1024 - all the same error, i dont know what the games install's problem is -- i am assuming the freesize is measured in megs?

Reply 3 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would guess so. A simple "dir" will tell you for sure. Can you post a video or pictures of the installation? Do you install from floppy images? Or did you copy the installation files to the c drive prior?

YouTube and Bonus
80386DX@25 MHz, 8 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & BlasterBoard, PC MIDI Card + SC55 + MT32, XT CF Lite, OSSC

Reply 4 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably something else going wrong with copying files and the installer incorrectly assumes the problem is a lack of free space.

DOSBox's internal copy command doesn't handle wildcards very well so you might want to try installing under freedos or similar.

Reply 5 of 6, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i was loading a cdrom drive and going from the install on that - the cd i have is a "CD Power" from 1997 it contains Their FInest Hour with all the extra missions.

i have however found a solution - in that if i just copy the files over to a folder through windows copy paste and just run the game exe, then the game runs perfectly, so i guess i dont need to worry about the install error - but its a shame as i do enjoy the nostalgia of doing a dos install when i can 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I owned a 40meg HD in my 286 back in 1990 so may want to try smaller than 200mb.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline