VOGONS

First post, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

noticed someting weird at the start of both game, wich make the game unplayable.

- Menzoberranzan : at the start of the game, you should go out in the town to help fight against the fire (getting some water buckets, dropping them into flames)...but the fire doesn't appear, no flames, nothing. can't go further into the game.

- Ravenloft strahd's possession : at the start of the game, you'r supposed to pursue someone into the forest, to kill him and to be transported to another place.... but the guy doesn't appear, you'r alone in the forest and stuck here forever.

for these both games, switching to dosbox 0.61 and all these weirds bugs diseappears. i'v tried lot's of things (CPU core, memory, sound/no sound) without sucess.

can someone try one of these game with 0.62 and report here ? thks.

Reply 1 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I reproduced this bug in Ravenloft 1 (I guess it is similar in Menzoberranzan):
a) The problem is that directory WORK (inside Ravenloft directory) is not emptied. I do not know whether this is a game bug or DOSBOX bug.
b) I think it was as that in DOSBOX 0.61 as well.
c) After you defeat the thief and you are teleported elsewhere, there remains the file LEV022.DAT in the directory WORK. I think that this is the state of the starting level after defeating the thief. After starting a new game, this file is NOT deleted/replaced as it should be. So the level remains in the state AFTER you defeated thief first time.

A workaround is simple: before starting a new game, empty the directory work (I think the same will work for Menzoberranzan - but I did not test it). I will put a report on betaboard.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 4, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thks, you'r right, and it works for all SSi's product using the data hierarchy.

you were right, old data stay in work temp and broke any new start of the game... strange i never noticed this in older ver of dosbox.

the problem appeared because i'v just got some CD of theses games, when i usually had floppy ver...so i'v reinstalled them, overwriting previous data and starting a new game.

not sure it's really a dosbox issue, i'll try it under real dos.

anyway thks (again)

Reply 4 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

QBIX just fixed this bug today (one DOS call was not fully implemented in DOSBOX). It is fixed in CVS and it should be ok in 0.63 when it is released.

I tested it in Ravenloft, but I think that all SSI games doing this should be fixed (report here if not).

Mirek