VOGONS

First post, by Landorin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I did a big search on this board as well as on the unofficial dosbox board but I couldn't find a solution.

Today I wanted to play the classic game "Master of Orion 2" which offers IPX network, modem, nullmodem, and hotseat (bah) support.
After I couldn't get network working, I tried virtual modem and after a lot of searching and reading I was able to get it working... up to the point where you have to choose your flag (a few min or less after the connection is established), then nothing happens anymore (any known issues? any way I can help investigating this?), the game shows me a clock symbol and I'm waiting... and waiting...

Okay, back to IPX I thought... I connect both dosbox PCs (both running on XP) with the latest official dosbox version (0.62) which works fine (see picture below, also tried the same with DOSBoxCVS-09.29.2004). Then both PCs launch the dos version of "MOO2", I create the game via ipx network and once the network tries to initiate the game (which would be followed, if everything went well, by the other PC joining the game via network), an error message comes up (and the game window crashes, followed by the dosbox window disappearing a few sec later too):

H5HwZhwj.jpg

What does that mean "interrupt to higher privilege"? Can some developer explain please? 🙄 And is there any workaround?
192.168.0.5 is the other PC connecting (I'm on 192.168.0.3), I did the "ipxnet startserver" and the other pc used the "connect" command on my IP. The picture you see was taken from the PC which did the "startserver" command as well as started a new network game in MOO2.

A note for those now replying "why don't you play MOOx or play MOO2 this or that way" as many did in the threads I digged up with the search function about similar problems: there seems to be no way to play MOO2 in XP without the graphics going weird or pitch black after a while (disabling hardware acceleration only delays the inevitable I read) so I'm stuck with the DOS version. 😒 Also, right now I prefer MOO2 over MOO3 due to various reasons I don't want to point out here since it's not the topic. 😉

Even if there is no workaround or so, I'm still curious what the error message actually means or might mean or being related to... 😀[/img]