VOGONS

First post, by Akril15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I’m still relatively new to using DOSbox, so bear with me.

I’ve been doing every thing I can to get “Lost in Time” to run on Windows XP. At first, it didn’t seem to work on DOSbox, but I got some help and discovered that typing

mount e e:\ -t cdrom 0 –ioctl

at the Z prompt fixes the problem of the blinking cursor on the black screen that I had before (my CD-ROM is “E”).

However, after playing through most of the game, I discovered another problem that I can’t seem to get around. When the game tries to play a certain cutscene (the one at the black man’s hut, which occurs when you click the coins on the slot in the door), the dialogue plays, but the images on the screen freeze, and after the dialogue is finished, the game locks up.

“Lost in Time” is a rare game, and fairly old as well, and I’ve had problems with old games before, but none this stubborn. I noticed that it was supported by DOSbox, but DOSbox doesn’t seem capable of bypassing this cutscene.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Most of my major system specs are at the bottom of this message.)

Thanks,

Akril

Windows XP
Intel Pentium III Processor
730 Mhz, 512 MB RAM
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller

Reply 1 of 2, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game use the same engine as other Coktel Vision games (Goblins 1,2,3 for example). There are some troubles after cutscenes (game locks up) in Goblins 3 (Goblin's Quest 3).
But all floppy versions of these games works fine.

Just ran this game using DOSBox 0.61 and 0.62...
It works and there is NO any lock-ups AFTER cutscenes, BUT cutscenes itself shows only 1st frame of animated sequences and these each 1st frame changes VERY fast and CD-Audio don't keep a pace with it (no synchronisation, like in Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 games too).
Seems like a bug in DOSBox with CD-ROM interface layer.

The are only 2 solution i find:

1. Decrease CPU cycles from 3650 in game to ~200 while cutscenes.
2. Use a patch from Sierra for this game. In result you'll get correct synchronization CD-Audio track and video sequences in cutscenes, but you'll get a f*cking delays in game each 1-2 seconds!
So, you can use not patched EXE to play game and patched one to see cutscenes (yes, it's crap, but i don't know another way to play this game in Windows 9x, XP, 2K, etc.

Of course, you can try to run this game in real DOS-mode if your hardware 100% Sound Blaster compatible to get ideal gameplay and compatibility.

But i think we should ask Qbix (or other DOSBox developers) to fix this bug with Coktel Vision CD-ROM games.

Write me back if you have any useful info.
manbiker@mail.ru

Games' collection 1983-2017. Nickname MAN-biker is registered!
Black Sect Remake (AGS) - Russian version
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos [CD] - Russian version
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans - Full walkthrough

Reply 2 of 2, by Akril15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, you can use not patched EXE to play game and patched one to see cutscenes (yes, it's crap, but i don't know another way to play this game in Windows 9x, XP, 2K, etc

Whoops...

I guess I should've mentioned this earlier: I've been using that exact same method to play LiT (except I used VDMS with the unpatched version).

However, neither the patched nor the unpatched versions have been able to get me past this particular cutscene.

I've got a savegame of the spot in the game just before the cutscene. I'll try emailing my IMA and CAT files to you (the ones that contain the savegame data) so that you can try getting past this cutscene as well.

Thanks,

Akril