VOGONS

First post, by ETG-FatBoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Doom2 to run inside of DosBox since .61. And I've been getting this same error everytime. Back in the day I could remember what the cause was, but right now it's excaping me.

So, everytime I try running Doom2, I get this error and the game aborts:

S_Init: Setting up sound.
Attempt to set sfx volume at 248

What could the problem be? And am I forgetting somthing? Is there somthing in the default DosBox .62 setup that needs to be disabled for Doom2 to run? I will supply you with more info if requested.

Reply 1 of 11, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Could you tell me - are you trying to play Doom2 using DosBox for testing capabilities of this great program or just for fun?
In the first case I have no solution for you 🙁
In the second case it is muuuuuuch better option - download and install jDoom source port from:
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
It's really cool!!!

Reply 2 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ETG-FatBoy wrote:

So, everytime I try running Doom2, I get this error and the game aborts:
S_Init: Setting up sound.
Attempt to set sfx volume at 248

I do not have DOOM 2, but this looks like a sound card problem. Try to choose a different sound card (in game setup, in DOSBOX.CONF).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 11, by ETG-FatBoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zebius:
> Hi! Could you tell me - are you trying to play Doom2 using DosBox for
> testing capabilities of this great program or just for fun?

I know all about the various new windows ports for Doom and Doom2. Just at times, I wanna play the 'classic' Doom2. 😀

mirekluza:
> I do not have DOOM 2, but this looks like a sound card problem. Try
> to choose a different sound card (in game setup, in DOSBOX.CONF).

I've tried doing that. I've so far only selected the 'sb16' and sb1' modes for the new .62 version. This error has always poped up on .61. No matter what valid settings I pick in the config and ingame for Doom2, I would always get that error. For those who know Doom2 better, does it need XMS and EMS support? I'm starting to remember, altho mostlikely a faulty memory, that memory managers would be the cause of that error.

Reply 4 of 11, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, Not having any troubles here on my version of Doom 2 1.7 with the latest CVS version.
See my Sig.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 11, by Ferromancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why don't you just install the ZDoom frontend, then install the GL ZDoom frontend on top of that? You can then get resolutions up to 1280 I think, the GL version has 3D models, and even the standard version has multiple transparencies, blood/smoke particles, and look up/down support, mouse aiming, and even a quake-style console. Don't ever let me catch you playing doom 2 in DOS or x86 emulation ever again!

Reply 7 of 11, by Ferromancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ewww, but it's all 320x240 in dos mode. C'mon, don't you want to be able to use the mouse like a modern FPS? Be able to see more than 4 pixels of a monster at a time? Lookup and down (gives a different perspective on levels)? Have transparencies? Bells and whistles added to graphics? Have it run... IN WINDOWS? 🙁

Oh and I forgot to mention that they added ENVIRONMENT MAPPING, SLOPES, and WATER to doom. Well, not on official maps, but at least to user levels.

Oh, and you can run zdoom in GameSpy, so you can play it with abybody online on the PLANET! No more null modems!

Oh yeah, and I think it's compatible with other ID games that use the DOOM engine (that weird game where you have a crossbow and kill mummies and familiars. Hexen or was it Heretic?).

Zdoom:
http://zdoom.org/download.html
ZDoomGL:
http://zdoomgl.mancubus.net/

the GL version might require and older version of zdoom, but that may have changed recently.

Reply 9 of 11, by Ferromancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, if you want "brand new and better", go play Doom 3.

IMHO, in the archaeology and history business, when you take and old artifact and polish it up and clean the dirt off, that's called "restoration". If you have a collapsing 11th century cathedral and shore up its stonework and sandblast it, that's called "restoration". Which is what ZDoom is for Doom2/Doom/Heretic: a restoration project.

😉

Take my word for it and install ZDoom.

Reply 10 of 11, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least one good reason to want to run DooM in DOSBox: playback of old demos recorded with older versions of the game that aren't supported with the modern source ports. Many source ports have very patchy demoplay support anyway.

Also, some speedrun competitions still require that you run vanilla DOS DooM, for authentic timing etc. (Dunno if they allow emulated DOS, though... it's only been possible for about a year)

Reply 11 of 11, by Ferromancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure that ZDoom allows you to play existing demo recordings. I'm also pretty sure the timing is identical... Both have to have a standard timer or else the game would be unplayable on faster machines. A timer just pings the CPU's internal clock anyway, so unless there's a warping of the space time continuum, it will be the same. Emulated DOS Doom2 would be much worse, since the CPU timing is simulated.

This is a very stable port by the way. It's been out for at least 5 years or more, and has been updated fairly recently.

I don't know if save games are reverse/forward compatible though.