VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

[To moderator - sorry if this post is too game specific but I couldn't anonymous post in the game/app forum. I don't mind if it is moved there at all as long as I can get it out here somewhere. Sorry.]

IBM ThinkPad 770 Laptop
Intel 82443BX Pentium (r) II Processor - 366MHz
256MB RAM
Video: Trident Microsystems - Cyber 9397DVD (Built-in) - 4MB RAM
Sound: Crystal SoundFusion PnP
System: Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998) [I am still pathetically unaware as to whether this is SE or not)
Lemmings 2: The Tribes (1993 version for DOS, NOT for Windows)
Constant Problem vis a vis sound FX
Sound mode used: Tried with all Sound emulators available (see below for details)
Video Mode: ? (doesn't seem to be a video problem)
Using DOSBOX 0.62

OK - I only just found about DOSBOX so I don't know much about things. Yes, I DID read the installation/setup guide AND the README.TXT. [I think DOSBOX is really cool already though.]

My problem is that the MUSIC works fine, but the SOUND FX doesn't. For Lemmings 2 the music and sound fx were apparrently split in some way that I don't understand (or else I am misreading the tech document that came with the game).

I have tried all of the existing emulators which the game can support, and their effects are listed below: [KEY = BASIC MUSIC is that really primitive one note type of stuff; FULL MUSIC is well, top quality 1993 soundblaster music, which granted isn't much but is a step far above BASIC MUSIC; BASIC SOUNDFX is that kind of FX you would get in Pong...seriously; FULL SOUNDFX = the cute little speech of the lemmings and that adorably disturbing squishing sound they make when they fall to their deaths]

PC Speaker - Music completely unsupported, Basic SoundFX
AdLib - Full Music, Basic SoundFX
Soundblaster - Full Music, NO soundfx
Roland - Basic/Weird Music, Basic soundfx
Tandy - No Music, Basic Soundfx

These are the only sound cards supported by Lemmings 2 in any case.

The KICKER is that before I stumbled upon DOSBOX I had bullied my computer into playing the Lemmings 2 game from the Safe Mode Command Prompt. The game played fine, but with Basic Music and FULL SOUNDFX. That's the kicker because the full soundfx show up nowhere in the DOSBOX versions and its confusing the bejesus out of me. If I didn't know about that fullsoundfx in Safe Mode I'd probably just shrug and be on my way - now it will consume my mind.