VOGONS

First post, by Strider52

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This BBs was recommended to me, so I figured I'd give it a try. I have been hit with a bit of nostalgia and want to load and play my old Magic Carpet games on my newer PC.
The games are:
Magic Carpet
Magic Carpet Plus
Magic Carpet 2

I have installed dosbox v. 0.62 and the dfend software.

I am getting the following message: "error creating setup directories"
I followed the following suggested directions to set up the games:

1) open a profile for editing and make sure "close dosbox on exit" is unchecked
2) Check the mounts and make sure they're set up properly; check "use ioctl" if Windows XP is used
3) Make sure you have enough cycles...Magic Carpet is a newer game; I guess 15000 cycles or 10000 cycles should work
4) try the normal core or dynamic core
5) make sure video card is set to VGA

I did all of the above and tried either 15000 or 10000 cycles but had no success. I could get to the opening screen of Magic Carpet Plus but, it would shut down and back to the dosbox screen without starting up.
Has anyone had any experience with an error like this? Are there any dosbox settings I can try to get these old games to play on a newer system?
Ands finally, should I even try?
Thanks for your responses 😀

My systems Specs are:

P-4 3.0 GHz PC with SSE2
Windoze XP Home edition
SB Live soundcard
GEForce 5200 Vid card
DX 9c
DVD ROM drive
1024X768 32 bit color quality setting
8X AGP bus

Don

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know/have that game, but I think you should keep trying. Others seems to have had some success with it:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=M

Have you tried downgrading DOSBox to 0.61?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the original Magic Carpet CD, not Plus and it works ok on DOSBox 0.61. I have played through the first 5-6 levels or so on it.

The message about creating the setup directories makes we wonder if you have a C: drive properly mounted in DOSBox. If you were running Linux I would suggest checking that you have the correct permissions set for the directory that you use to mount C:, but you said you was running XP. Magic Carpet ran from the CD, there was not an install program. The first time you run it from CD, it creates a Carpet.cd directory in the root of C: where it stores it's data files. If it can't create those directories that seems to indicate a problem writing to the mounted C: drive.

Reply 3 of 6, by Strider52

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Xian:
No, I have not done a mount for C drive at all. I guess I misunderstood the instructions. I thought because it is a CD I should mount the CDROm drive in Windoze XP. I will give it a try.
Thanks

Don

Reply 5 of 6, by Kazuya80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Xian97 said that he could paly Magic Carpet until level 5 or 6...
Could you please explain me how were you able to?
I mean: when selecting a new spell or entering the map the game quits!
I don't understand if it is a bug of the game or a problem of compatibility with DosBox 0.62
THNX

Reply 6 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kazuya80,
If I remember correctly that is when the copy protection kicked in. The first time you opened the map or tried to select a spell the copy protection would check the CD. I am playing off my original CD, but I was able to copy it to a folder and mount that and still play.