VOGONS

First post, by The Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Game: Chinese, supposedly a simulation/strategy game whose name translates directly as "Emperor". As I never once successfully got it working, I really can't offer much more information.

Symptom displayed is the notorious "segmentation fault" crash.
After starting, the game displays a "pre-game" blue screen which shows a message by the cracker/s, proclaiming this game to be a "definitely playable" version, and telling me to press any key to continue. When I comply, I'm then treated to a blank dark screen with a single cursor prompt blinking at the very top. If I leave it alone, it will probably go on blinking at me forever. So I press enter, and then the game promptly exits with a "segmentation fault" error. (I believe this game is actually playable though, since many people have downloaded the same version before, and played on earlier versions of Windows with no problem.)

I've tried this game on DOSBox repeatedly from DOSBox v6.0 to 6.2, under software and D3D mode, with default resolution, and Sound Blaster 1 to
Pro2, all with no luck. It's a protected mode game, probably using DOS4GW 1.97, but the game exits at the same place when I try to run it directly under Windows. I've also already tried loadfix, with or without XMS, EMS, and basically all other types of basic settings in DOSBox that I can think of. Loading the game folder as Drive C and/or CD-ROM didn't help either.

Just hoping someone here would be able to help me, or let me know for sure that I'll have to wait for the next or future version of DOSBox to try this game again.

System Specs:
P4 2.8
512 DDR SDRAM
SiS 650 (64 shared vram)
Avance AC97
WinXP Home SP2, and 1, and none (By chance, tried
running the game under all three conditions)

Reply 1 of 5, by Ferromancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try using NO SPACES and only 8 characters in your directory names for that game. I was wondering why a game didn't work when I moved it to another directory and that was why (getting the same parachute segmentation fault).

Reply 2 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where did you get this game? I do not recall this one and I would appreciate it (if it's not considered abandonware) that you may offer a link to it so that I may test it and so on.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by The Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RE: Ferromancer
The default game folder is "EMPERORX", and I haven't changed it at all. It obviously also fits the bill for 8 letters and no spaces as well. 😀

----------------------------

Priestlyboy, not sure what you meant by you "don't recall" it, but I guess it isn't all that well known even among Chinese classic DOS games. I just saw it somewhere when I was bored enough to be looking at some not too popular old games, and wanted to try out the taste of being an emperor; but seeing how hard it is to get it to run, I guess it proves that not everyone can be an emperor. 😉

Here's a link for you and anyone else who might like to try it. But I got mine a long time ago, and I can't guarantee this link will always work.

BTW, if you speak Chinese, you can always go to search for it on the search engines by yourself, there should eventually pop up some other links to try.

Last edited by The Lord on 2004-10-28, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the game? It translates as Empereor as I noticed.
http://down.u4online.com/soft/377.htm
Why does it say.. Win9x/NT/2000/XP? And not DOS?

I was using Firefox and the extension Translate Page which is good 😉.

And I also can't seem to reach their FTP.
Oh yeah and your link was a little messy here is a proper link http://www.u4online.com/down.asp?id=377&no=1

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 5, by The Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It usually says "Win9x/NT/2000/XP" about the software requirement for everything they have on there. There's too many games or software on those sites, and the people who moderate them can't be bothered to really verify all the things they put on there. As you can see, there's also very little information for the game.

Anyway, here's another link, I've tried this one and it at least works right now. Usually use only one thread and if it doesn't connect immediately, keep the dl manager on auto retry, it should connect eventually.
http://www.5yun.com/download.asp?id=34585&no=1