VOGONS

First post, by grifith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am replaying the beautiful Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss using Dosbox 0.62. It worked great but now i have a problem that prevents me from going on the game.
I reached level 3 of the game, explored it a bit, saved the game and then came back to level 2 to finish exploring and now every time i go to level 3, when i save dosbox freezes and gives me this error (in loop):

write fd to rom at f0000
write bf to rom at f0000
write 0 to rom at f0000

I am given the same error when i try to go from level 3 to level 4 (and i already went to level 4 earlier without any problem).
I tried even the last Doxbox 0.62 CVS (10.23.2004, downloaded from http://www.mypixels.dk/forums ) but the error persists.
Does anyone can help, please? Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This could a bug in DOSBOX or it could be just a corrupted save game...
Are you able to try whether that save game works when running Ultima Underworld outside of DOSBOX?
Anyway: ZIP the save game and upload it here with the precise instructions how to reproduce the bug.
Mirek

Reply 2 of 7, by grifith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if it's just a corrupted savegame since when i load it i begin in level 2 and can save without any problem. Only when i go to level 3 the game doesn't save anymore but if i come back to level 2 it saves again successfully.
I even tried to run the game in windowsXP (using a patch to make it compatible with WinNT and VDMSound) but it complains there is no EMS memory (although i set it in UW.exe properties -> memory tab) and doesn't start.
Anyway i've zipped the savegame and attached it as you said. To reproduce the bug the only thing you have to do is going to level 3 (follow the end of the tunnel you are in when you load the savegame) and try to save. Let me know if it works! 😉
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Filename
    SAVE2.zip
    File size
    98.54 KiB
    Downloads
    144 downloads
    File comment
    Ultima Underworld Savegame
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by grifith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I almost forgot, before i got this problem i already visited level 3 and saved successfully. Should i illustrate you the list of events in chronological order it would be the following:

(game start)
Level 1 -> saved successfully
Level 2 -> saved successfully
Level 3 -> saved successfully
Level 4
Level 3 -> saved successfully
Level 1 -> saved successfully
Level 3 -> ERROR
(if i go to level 4 from level 3) -> ERROR
(if i come back to level 2 without saving and then save) -> saved successfully

I hope this could help to understand better the situation! 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

EMS problems in WinXP: search VOGONS. In generall it is usually a problem with something in BIOS occupying area where EMS should be. Try to swich off in BIOS USB legacy support /on board LAN support etc...

Mirek

Reply 6 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Good luck for DOSBOX, bad luck for you ...
I have just tried your save using Ultima Underwold 1 in Windows XP (after applying the patch to enabling it to run there). Saving which freezes in DOSBOX, crashes the game in Windows XP as well.
In both cases saving on the previous level is ok ...
So it looks like a bug in Ultima or a corrupted save. Look for a patch and probably also for an older save game ...

Mirek

Reply 7 of 7, by grifith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for having tried to help me! 😀
I found a patch for Ultima Underworld and applied it but the problem persists. If only i had an older savegame i could try to see if the one i'm using is corrupted but i haven't it... 😒
Oh well, i'll think what to do... if anyone in the forum has a savegame starting from level 2 (or level 3) and is willing to upload it, i would be very grateful! 😁