VOGONS

First post, by Sembiance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was running the 'setup' program for Legend of Kyrandia, and it has a Memory Setup option.
It states that if it can use more memory, I will get more visual effects in the game.

First is asked 'Use XMS?' I said yes, and then it auto detected that indeed, DOSBox made XMS available.

Then it asked 'Use HMA?' I said yes, and the autodetection said 'Not Available'

What is HMA and is it imortant? Can DOSBox emulate it?

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's not important.
hma was usually used to load msdos in. (so it was never free)

but as our dos is only a few bytes this isn't really needed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone got the MT-32 sound working in this game? Selected the options in the sound setup.exe, the game plays fine but no sound, tried in realmode DOS(sbeinit tsr), dosbox and using vdmsound in XP(with sblive!)

BTW, downloaded the 1.3v patch from westwood, what does it fix.....it has no readme file.

Reply 3 of 4, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MT-32 isn't supported unless you use the unofficial builds by Canadacow. And at that you need to have the MT32PCM.ROM to use MT-32 which isn't legal to hand out if I'm correct. He releases his builds on his website.

You may or may not get MT-32 to play when selected in DOSBox (non MT-32 build) but most likely it reverts to General Midi.

Seems to play on Kyra CD (Legends of Kyrandia 1 CD) (which happens to be version 3.7)

I dunno about the disk version though. I think I may have it somewhere...

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 4, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange problem but fixed, I just ran a program called KGB (a DOS interrupt and 'file monitor') and found Kyrandia tried to open a missing file called MT32MPU.ADV. I copied it across from the original flloppies and now the MT-32 works.