VOGONS

First post, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. I've installed Gabriel Knight 3 and followed the newbie instructions here in the forums on how to install and run a game. Everything seems to work well until I get to the point where I have to put in the name of the executable file. Example: GKCD\ GDCD.exe

Well, when I do the "exe" it tells me it's an illegal command. After searching on the net for a bit I saw something that said you must use "bat" as this game's executable file, so then I tried that: GKCD\GKCD.bat
and then I get this message: "This batch file is used automatically by the Gabriel Knight program. Please do not run it from the command line".

Since I only have the game cd and no documentation, I'm not sure if maybe there is a different exec. file I should be using or not.

Also, I fooled around with doing this from the cdrom and that was okay too until I tried to tell it where the game was. I had the D: drive mounted and put in "cd GKCD" and it said it was "unable to change to GKCD".

So, I'm perplexed. I've gotten further with this game than I ever have before, which is good, but I can't actually get to the point of running it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? I really would love to get this game running and I'm stuck! 😀

Thanks so much,
Tracy

Reply 1 of 9, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again. Just tried to run the game again from D: using "D:SIERRA" which started to work, but then I got this error message: "Fatal: Can't find sound driver. Please run install".

This is sort of an addition to my other post, btw. 😀

Do you guy know what I can do to change/fix the sound drivers so that I can run this from the cd? It looks like it wants to work and might work if I can just find a way to fiddle with the sound.

Thanks for ALL of your help for this newbie! 🤣

Tracy

Reply 2 of 9, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is no need to start several threads for one game/problem. GK3 (Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned) is Windows game. It seems that your game is GK1 (Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Fathers), is that correct? Do you have only one CD with the game?

Reply 3 of 9, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I didn't particularly want to start a new thread but it's the same game, same problem, and there's no way to edit my first post, so....thats' why I wrote a second one.

Also, no, the game is GK3, and all I have is the disk. When it wouldn't run straight from my cd-rom I thought maybe I needed to run it via DOSbox, so that's what I did next.

If I try to run it straight from the cd rom it gives me the same error about the sound driver.

Anyway, that's just a little update. Thanks for your help.

Tracy

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

*merged*
everybody can edit their own posts i think.
just click on the small circle at the right top of your post.

Anyway. Doesn't gk1 come with a sound utility ?

I recall there being some guide by ben frazer or so in the internet somewhere explaining everything.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 9, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enchantedmoons wrote:

Well I didn't particularly want to start a new thread but it's the same game, same problem, and there's no way to edit my first post, so....thats' why I wrote a second one.

There is a way to edit post, at the right top of each post is small buton for it (I know it can be hard to find it for a newbie.)

enchantedmoons wrote:

Also, no, the game is GK3, and all I have is the disk.

Why do you think the game is GK3? There are three Gabriel Knight games.

Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Fathers (1CD)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,116/

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within (6CD)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,118/

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (3CD)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,484/

If Qbix changed the name of the post for GK1, it will be definitely GK1. 😀
There is a detailed install guide at Quandary.

Reply 6 of 9, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay guys, I AM a dork! 🤣 I have the flu and have been on medicine, up half the night, and was fiddling w/ this game at like 4 in the morning. Hence, I totally missed the fact that this IS GK1 and NOT GK3! OMG 🤣

I bought both games via sellers on Amazon.com and in my groggy, weird state I must've put this disk in and assumed it was the third game.

Okay, I am going to take a long nap and then come back and try this all again when I actually KNOW what game I'm playing. 🤣 🤣

SIGH!
Tracy, blushing and feeling like a serious newbie.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enchantedmoons wrote:

Hence, I totally missed the fact that this IS GK1 and NOT GK3!

No problem, we have fortunately experts here like Qbix, who knows very well what game you own, regardless of your efforts to confuse him. 😀

enchantedmoons wrote:

I am going to take a long nap and then come back and try this all again

So try that guide at Quandary, it should help you.

Reply 8 of 9, by enchantedmoons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 🤣 Thanks SO much Jiri. btw---tried the guide at Quandry and I got GK1 installed and actually got to play it for the first time! Yes!

Thanks so much all of you,
Tracy