VOGONS

First post, by Silencer01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the CD version of Privateer(with righteous fire) and every time I let the intro run through, it freezes at the exact same moment and the sound stutters indefinently, forcing me to use the task manager to close Dosbox.

When I skip the intro and go straight into the game, the same problem occurs during other passages of speech, but I am not entirely certain that it's those specifc passages of speech that is causing it to lock up, or a random occurence during any speech. Although that doesn't seem likely given that the intro freezes in the same spot every time.

Could this be corrupt data files, or is it a problem with my doxbox settings?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's a problem of dosbox. nothing you can do about it. (well except for configuring the game not use speech.)

It happens as dma transfers can cause pagefaults in dosbox.
(on a real machine they can not as they don't go through the paging tables). But it's very uncommon for games to stream audio through paged memory.

As with most things origin doesn't do what everybody else does hence your problem.

Although we are aware of the problem a solution will not be ready on short terms.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Silencer01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the quick response.

Another question, is there any way to specifically turn off speech without turning off the other sound effects(gun fire, explosions, etc.)? I wouldn't mind playing without speech, but the only option I can find in Privateer disables all the sound effects.

Looks like I might have to go digging for my original pre-speech pack Privateer disks. 😀