VOGONS

First post, by White_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

---------------------------------------
EDIT: THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED

Instead of deleting the post I am posting my solution to the problem in case another one has the same problem and reads this. During my attempts to handle laserlok once I modified a file named CONFIG.DAT in the game folder. It only contained the game folder path and I typed this path relative to my Windows file system. I updated it relative to the DosBox mounted file system and it worked.

As an example, the game is installed in the folder "C:\DosBox\CM2" and the C drive is mounted with "mount C C:\DosBox" command. The path in the CONFIG.DAT was "C:\DosBox\CM2" and I changed it to "C:\CM2"

I have managed to work it with SVN-Daum version but yet to try with core DosBox versions.
----------------------------------------

Hello everybody,

I am trying to make Championship Manager 2 work. I have done many attempts and will summarize them here:

The first thing I did to read the 60 seconds guide and install the game without any problem. After that I encountered with the Laserlok problem but after some research I was able to handle this and the game main screen appeared. The problem starts here:

1) I opened the game with DosBox v0.72 (I have been using it for a long time without any problem and never felt the need to change it.), the game asked me to choose a slot to save my game profile, after doing so a screen was opened stating creating data and including a status bar at the bottom. When the status bar was about 66% the game crashed. There were some lines in the background console window saying something like "illegal read from" and "illegal write to"

2) I installed the latest DosBox (v0.74-3) and opened the game with it. The outcome is the same as scenario #1.

3) Because of it save state option I also have a SVN-Daum version installed. I tried to open the game with it. This time the date creation screen progressed slower but it did not crashed at the same location. When I checked the game folder with Windows Explorer I saw that at this point the game starts to create files for player history, club history etc. The other versions had not manage to create them but this version did. However at 76% it froze and even after hours it did not move even slightly.

4) Just to make sure the problem is not my CD I downloaded a version from an abandonware site (I am not asking the help to make this version work, this one is just to give more insight to the problem), the same happened with nominal DosBox versions and SVN-Daum version but the freezing point was 73% for SVN-Daum this time (probably my CD and this copy had different versions). I just increased the memory to 1024 MB in the configuration file and tried it again. This time it passed 73% and came until 75% but SVN-Daum version crashed. I was able to something in the background console window something like "illegal TSS for switch" before it crashed.

I tried all the steps in a machine with 64-Bit Windows 8.1. Also I checked the scenario #4 on another PC with 64-Bit Windows 7, as I don't have CD-Rom on this PC I cannot try the first three steps on it.

With the data above what may be the problem for me? Why does SVN-Daum version manage to create the new files and why does not the other versions?

Thanks a lot in advance.