VOGONS

Alien Oddysey not starting

Topic actions

First post, by Interl@ce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, i don't know if any of you rememberor even know this game. Although it got some bad reviews, i really loved it. It's a cd-i converted game, brought to the pc by Brender in 1995. It's about a guy who crashes his recon ship onto an alien planet, and finds out there are 2 alien races (one good, one evil) who are fighting for control of the planet. It's a real action packed game, led by interactive cinematics and semi-3d resident evil like gameplay.

The problem is, after i installed the game, and want to run it with game.bat, i get an error message "***** Please use 'GAME.BAT' *****" as if it's not run correctly.

I've tried everything i can, from downloading alternate versions of the game (one from the edonkey network, another from home of the underdogs), to older dosbox versions, to different core types, to different mounting types (first the image, then a burnt cd) and everyting i could possibly try in memory and sound configurations, even loadfixing, but nothing so far.

If anyone could help me i'd greatly appreciate it, i really have nostalgic feelings for this game and i'd love to play it once more. As i've said a cd-rip is downloadable from underdogs. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply 1 of 21, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The same thing happened with me. My version is also from Home of the Underdogs though I do remember it working with ME without DOSBox of course. I am also getting the game.bat error. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Reply 2 of 21, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So does anyone else have the same problem as me? This was the only topic I could find that was concerning Alien Odyssey so that's why I am trying to post here. I want to know how to solve this problem and I have already tried looking at the DOSBox compatibility list and it did not show Alien Odyssey so I do not know what to do to start getting it to run.

Reply 3 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Interl@ce, start by posting the content of that GAME.BAT file here.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should replace the dos4gw stub with the DOS32A one (search forum for details) and get rid of the batch file.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 21, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried that, it didn't work - as luck has it, I tried to run the game yesterday and run into the exact same problem. This is the original CD game, no downloaded rip. The game won't run and if I replace dos4gw with dos32a and edit the lines, it STILL doesn't work.

Reply 8 of 21, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Red_avatar have you figured out a way to get the game working yet? You said you just tried getting it work but you were unsuccessful so have you figured out other ways of getting the game to run?

Reply 10 of 21, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the same error message as Interl@ce:
***Please use 'GAME.BAT' ***

The game won't work and I am sure I am running GAME.BAT in C:\ODYSSEY so I am definetely sure that the path I have installed the game is correct.

Reply 13 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no such thing as an "offical CVS release" because CVS is the work-in-progress versions of the source code that aren't officially built and released until Qbix and Harekiet decide to label the current state of things as a new official release version. Lots of people have their own experimental builds of the latest CVS source code, though, and you can find links to them elsewhere on these forums (I'm not at home right now so I don't have any URLs handy, unfortunately).

Reply 14 of 21, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I tried the game again today - replaced dos4gw.exe with dos32a.exe (I always do this) and patched the game file to have dos32a.exe imbedded too. No difference - with latest CVS. Game still complains about not finding game.bat

Reply 15 of 21, by johndoe123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I don't know if anyone has come up with a solution yet. Today I also wanted to play Alien Odyssey but ran into the same problem as you. I checked the batch file etc. but everything seemed ok. *But* on a closer look, in the batch file, the MCP.EXE has an ASCII character 8 as command line parameter. Probably DosBox doesn't handle non-character values and dismisses it.
Well, I modified the mcp.exe so it doesn't check for the parameter anymore, the game works fine so far.
You can get the new file from http://gamefileformats.the-underdogs.org/ao/mcp.rar

Have fun playing! 😀

Reply 16 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm nasty.
dosbox doesn't throw away characters that easy though.
Let's take a closer look on it

Edit:
character 8.. isn't that tab ?
That would be nasty. Dosbox does do some weird things with tabs though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!